Labbing it up!

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just have to say, I love my employer for the serious money they put into labs. We have dedicated Nexus labs (all flavors), MDS, UCS, full NetApp/EMC labs, UC labs, pretty much anything you can think of. That's all cool, but I hadn't actually taken advantage of the remote access to these labs until now.

Now, I'm on the road in my hotel room logging into a pair of Nexus 7K/5K's in the lab with no time limits (and without using my rack rental tokens).

Back to playing!

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That 90% NFR discount certainly doesn't hurt. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like an awesome place to work! Grats!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It definitely is an awesome place. Took a trip to lake tahoe today on the company's dime. Going to lab some more in our Nexus lab tonight it looks like.

I'm not sure why I started this thread, but I may or may not have been under the influence when I did, so that explains it!
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great gig
    congrats, im sure you earned it
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, that's a seriously sweet sounding gig Mike. Like Halo said, you've earned it. Compare this to a previous employer of mine who didnt let us even use disused servers gathering dust in the store. They were then EOL'd and put through the metal shredder.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    It is a sweet gig. I feel like sometimes I'm bragging about it, but I don't mean to do that- I just came from a job where the best training we got was me re-purposing an ESXi server to become a Dynamips box for our guys to practice on. They wouldn't pay for certs, nothing. Come to this place and they made the Forbe's "best places to work" two years in a row- so it's a HUGE difference for me.

Off to our huge integration lab next week to configure 4x Nexus 7K's, 4x 5K's, 4x 3945 ISR's, 20x 3750's, 12x 4500-X's, and some ASA 5585X's. I would have never gotten experience like this in my previous role.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I feel like sometimes I'm bragging about it, but I don't mean to do that-
    I think it's great to read that there are companies out there with a culture that encourages in the investment of their employees. It's so rare these days to find companies that have tangible evidence of what most companies say that actually profess.

Thanks for sharing..
    Absolutely paul. I think if your employee's become strong advocates for your company..you're doing something right. It results in happy employee's, happy customers (when they hear how much I enjoy working where I work, it tends to push them in the direction of doing business with us again in the future).
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    What is your role in your company? and what type of company is it?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
    What is your role in your company? and what type of company is it?

I'm a route/switch engineer for a VAR (Value Added Reseller). We basically resell network/server gear (from F5, EMC, NetApp, Cisco, Dell, Apple, etc) and offer professional services with regards to the design/installation/configuration of the gear. We can do basically anything- they don't have to buy from us, but that's the 30,000 ft view of it all. My job is to go to various customer locations and consult with them on what it is they're trying to do, and then make it happen. The best thing about my job is I work with really smart people, which makes me want to learn more.