Options

Just failed the exam, is it me or is the test adaptive?

migtek02migtek02 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just failed for the second time 750, first time made a 748. The test was a good mix of all topics covered in the Sybex study guide.
This time I thought I was ready, I can subnet and configure routers mostly on the fly with no problem. I was blown away! the test seemed like it was over 75% Switch, Vlan, VTP specific. Has it changed? is it now a switch certification?

WHAT GIVES?!!?

Comments

• Options
    just a really hard test
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    migtek02 wrote:
    Just failed for the second time 750, first time made a 748. The test was a good mix of all topics covered in the Sybex study guide.
    This time I thought I was ready, I can subnet and configure routers mostly on the fly with no problem. I was blown away! the test seemed like it was over 75% Switch, Vlan, VTP specific. Has it changed? is it now a switch certification?

WHAT GIVES?!!?
    Figure it's a mini-CCNP -- routing, switching, and wans. And you have to be able to troubleshoot them all.

Your score was consistant -- how were your averages on the topics broken out on your score report?

Sybex this time -- what did you use the first time?

When you took the exam, did you notice any "trick questions" -- I remember at least 8 from my CCNA, and someone else once mentioned they remembered 14. If you're not picking up on those questions, that could be what's doing you in.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I used the same Sybex study guide, what has me confused is the test questions were mostly switch. The topic scores were consistent, I'm just trying to get over the fact I was ready for Subnetting Router config OSI, DOD etc... U know like the first test I took. Its like Cisco decided to change the test on me.
  • Options
    LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know how you feel. I felt the same way after I failed the test for the third time. It seems that Cisco knows how to bore into your head and extract questions about the few things that you aren't fully prepared for and omit questions about the things you know well. When you pass this thing you will really know your stuff. Failing the test is just part of the process, you will get it eventually and be better off for it.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Longbow wrote:
    I know how you feel. I felt the same way after I failed the test for the third time. It seems that Cisco knows how to bore into your head and extract questions about the few things that you aren't fully prepared for and omit questions about the things you know well. When you pass this thing you will really know your stuff. Failing the test is just part of the process, you will get it eventually and be better off for it.

Yikes.

I passed the INTRO, no sweat. Thought I was hot stuff so I thought I'd try the 801 composite. Kablooey! 630 score. Went back to the ICND track. . . got a 730 there. I'm really hoping I don't have to go beyond a third whack at completing the cert, but it's nice knowing there's such a thing as people who didn't pass in three tries or less.

And it's funny. . . other certs, yeah, you felt dumb if you had to retake, but not as badly. There's something about the CCNA culture where you're always reading "yay, I studied for two weeks and passed on the first try", so you end up feeling bad if you gotta redo. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    migtek02 wrote:

WHAT GIVES?!!?

If it's any consolation, I got clobbered on the switch stuff on my ICND. I guess I must have glossed over it, thinking it simpler than it really is. Can't tell ya how much reading I've done on switches and STP in the last month. . . :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    migtek02 wrote:
    I used the same Sybex study guide, what has me confused is the test questions were mostly switch. The topic scores were consistent, I'm just trying to get over the fact I was ready for Subnetting Router config OSI, DOD etc... U know like the first test I took. Its like Cisco decided to change the test on me.
    Probably luck of the draw on the questions.... but you are stuck in a rut and in need of a change.

If you're good on the basics -- try the Cisco Press ICND book. That should give you an indepth new look at the most important information for the CCNA exam. And maybe the CCNA Flash Cards since those should hit the highlights of all the topics on the exam.

Double check the exam blueprint -- and see if there is anything on that Cisco hasn't hit you with yet. You never know, maybe Cisco is really out to get you. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    leighleigh Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    migtek02 wrote:
    Just failed for the second time 750, first time made a 748.
    I am sorry to hear that. When did you take the first exam?
    migtek02 wrote:
    the test seemed like it was over 75% Switch, Vlan, VTP specific. Has it changed? is it now a switch certification?
    From my experience, it put more quiz about mix of router and switch, and subnetting quiz in switch area isn't strange. In all, the exam twists us candidates.
  • Options
    I took the first test in November.
    Ill retest again in a couple of weeks, after I study the Switching portions of the Sybex study guide.
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    Why don't you pick up another book. I was using the Sybex, and then I looked into the "exam cram" series, and was completely shocked at how much stuff sybex didn't explain. Plus at the end of each chapter (topic) is has atleast 3 different URLs on where to get more info, either from the Cisco site, wikipedia, or detailed tutorial sites that I would have never found. Its only $40.

Just an idea. :)
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    leighleigh Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    migtek02 wrote:
    I took the first test in November.
    Ill retest again in a couple of weeks, after I study the Switching portions of the Sybex study guide.

Four month after first test, more exam questions were changed. From my opinion, retest as soon as possible if u think get ready. Maybe you'll get more same questions as last one.
    Hand on practice is very critical, either use software Simulator or real switch/router. Pay attention to the output meaning of commands.
    May you lucky for the next one.