Joined the 696 Club

infoseckiinfosecki Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
Disappointed to say I got a 696. I didn't pass my previous time either but I think I waited too long to retake. I must say the CBT seemed to have a lot more scenario based questions than the PBT. It was definitely less draining than the PBT but still a bear to get through.

I started to go back and check my answers but figured the first hunch is best and didn't change any of my choices.

Any tips from anyone to get over the remaining last humps to pass?

I've started going the route of NIST documents at this point. I've read Dummies, AIO, OIG, Conrad, etc. but some of the questions seem to drill deeper than what is in these books.

Comments

• coolz203coolz203 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. What domains came up the weakest? I found that understanding the domains and their application to a situation was key.
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Awwww man, just 4 points!!! My recommendation is that you book for another retake straight away. Don't wait long and get back to the studying. You would have received a print out detailing your weaker domains, work on those and also browse through your stronger ones because it is easy to forget some of the nitty gritties that you feel you are confident on.

Might pay off to slow down as you read as well, you seem to have really good resources so I reckon you should slow down and try to understand the underlying concepts, go over practice tests at the end of each chapter, if you keep getting so many questions wrong, go back over that chapter and figure out where you are getting it wrong and work on it.

One of my usual recommendations is that you go over past posts on TE, there are some people who have failed the exam and bounced back and passed, have a read and you might be able to pick up a few tips to get you over that line. Don't give up!
  • infoseckiinfosecki Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the encouragements guys. I was weakest in BCP and Architecture. I'm thinking of taking it in another month after the 30 day waiting period. I probably did read through the material too quickly. Hope to have some good news to share in 1 month!
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Keep posting and ask questions, there are always people who are happy to help.

For now, I would suggest you dig up the NIST document on BCP and go over that a couple of times. After that hit the AIO guide and finally Conrad. As for Architecture, I would get up close and personal with the AIO guide ... icon_study.gif ...
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is very close. I wish you better results next time around. Don't give up.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Find the treads that talk about the top five domains, and really hammer the ones that match up with the list from your test. It probably won't hurt you too bad to not know which fire extinguisher is which, but BCP and architecture you have to have down really well to pass, no doubt.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Sorry to hear that. You are not that far away from a pass. In 3 months, you can easily make up those 4 points. Don't give up!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    Jesus.. I feel you.. I got short by 80 on the ISSAP exam.

But let that bring you down... go back at it and pass it like I'm doing !
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Worst club ever. Best of luck next time.
    Thanks folks. Agreed cyberguypr, this club is worse than the 695 club that I was previously in.
  • RanMicRanMic Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keeping digging man. You'll get it.
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in the 695 club and the 653 club before that before I passed. Never give up, never surrender. How I passed...I went back and changed answers till the time ran out. I was surprised at how many answers I initially answered incorrectly when I went back and said 'who was sitting in this chair four hours ago?' I would not have passed had I gone with my first hunch. But that's just me. :)
    Interesting...thanks for the tips kalkan. I thought about going back and checking but I had that "first hunch is best" mentality. It definitely would not hurt to go back on some of the ones I flagged for review.
  • dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The key thing to remember with the ISC2 exams is that they are largely managerial. You MUST think in terms of the business and which answer is best in those terms. The correct technical answer isn't necessarily the best business answer.

The ISSAP is probably the most "technical" of the ISC2 exams but even it requires putting your senior architect/business manager hat on.

I typically make it a point not to go back and review/change any of the answers that I've already done. I read the question several times to make sure that I understand it, pick the BEST answer, and then move on to the next question. Never change the answers I've already answered.

Everyone is different. That just seems to work well for me.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep your head up! Review your notes and go over your weakest domain! It can be done! Trust me!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dijital1 wrote: »
    I typically make it a point not to go back and review/change any of the answers that I've already done. I read the question several times to make sure that I understand it, pick the BEST answer, and then move on to the next question. Never change the answers I've already answered.

This is what worked for me as well - no flagging, no review, just answer as you go. Taking a couple of breaks to get a snack was also helpful to me. Breaks it up a bit, esp for people that take the full 6 hours - I took two 15 minute breaks, and maybe a bit less then 2.5 hours total. I couldn't imagine trying to sit there for 6 hours straight.