Age Versus Qualifications

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Currently 19, finished a National Diploma for IT Practitions last september with the top mark, currently working as an IT support technician + studying for MCDST and have also enrolled on CCNA evening course starting in September. Plan to be MCSA / MCSE / CCNA / MCDST by the time im 25. Good plan? :)

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LukeQuake wrote:
    Plan to be MCSA / MCSE / CCNA / MCDST by the time im 25. Good plan? :)
    Not bad -- if you fix the typo. Was it supposed to be 21? :D

Or did you mean:
    Plan to be MCSA / MCSE / CCIE / MCDST by the time im 25.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well CCNA runs over 2 years 1 evening a week..... along side that I plan to get the MCSA stuff finished and just see how it goes :)
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would say that's a good route, maybe a bit much. And you will need to pack solid experience along with those certs, or they won't get you far.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Hence why im in the kind of job that will allow me to gain that exp :)
  • certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    5 yrs is a lot. I plan to get all those certs you listed in about a year.
    Whats the use in getting all those certs so fast if you dont have the experiance to back it up ?
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Im doing National Diploma for IT Practitioners, MCDST & MCSA within next year.

Then doing upgrade to MCSE &/or Cisco Certs (not sure yet)

So yes it sounds like a good path. Good luck with it! icon_thumright.gif

Agree that i dont think it will take you that long for them but depends on your personal responsibilities etc

Make sure you get as much experience while gaining the certs though!!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    5 yrs is a lot. I plan to get all those certs you listed in about a year.

That would be quite a feat, but I think most employers who saw that would think you cheated on the exams. I know I would, unless you appeared to be some sort of IT prodigy...... icon_rolleyes.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Ricka182 as well. One year accomplishing all those certs is fairly quick. Maybe it's possible if you didn't work or go to school and all you did was get certs. But for most people I think who is working full time, anywhere from 3-5 years is reasonable in achieving all those certs as long as you are exposed in some of those areas in your current job.

Good luck in your studying!!!
    All of your responces are greatly appreciated. Just got to get my head down now :)
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i plan to get those within two years. but i study full time.
    witty comment
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    With at least several hours per day, 2 years should be very doable.

LukeQuake wrote:
    Whats the use in getting all those certs so fast if you dont have the experiance to back it up ?
    I wish it were different, but in reality certs do not always need to be backed up by experience. Again, not my idea of certs, but it can help you get a position where you can gain the experience.
    Aye very true, if you are working full time however it can be difficult to find the time to study after you come home / cook etc.
  • adrianxenadrianxen Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe that your plan will be completed by 23. Booking the first test is hard, after that is going to be easy ;)
    Good luck on your journey!
  • ruup4it62ruup4it62 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    5 years seems to be a bit long, but overall it is a great goal to accomplish