For those that have taken/passed the MTA 98-349(OS), is it really that easy?!

MendMend Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is it really that easy?

I'm using the "study guide" from Certiport and its a joke, the answers are blatant and obvious. I've been a desktop tech for the past 6 years in a Windows environment and even though we don't use half of the, "...solutions" MS has built into their operating systems, I still see where the question is going each time.

This leads me to believe the study guide is incredibly accurate or completely off?
The only reason I'm taking this is my employer will reimburse any certs I pass, and I've never been to this test center so I figure why not tackle an easy one first and see what the environment is like.

Any firsthand accounts would be much appreciated!

p.s. If you know of a better/more accurate study guide or even sample questions you could share with me I would be very thankful.

Comments

• taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    The exam really is that easy. If you've been a desktop tech for 6 years just go ahead and schedule it and take it. You may want to brush up on which Windows versions are upgradable to other Windows version (like XP Pro can be directly upgraded to ?) but besides that you will be fine. It was pretty much a waste of time when I took it.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    That ones really easy, I took it w/o study got a 90
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • MendMend Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's great and thanks for the replies.

I'd really like to validate the accuracy of this guide that I linked to, and see if the questions are presented and worded in that same fashion.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I actually went through that same guide before I took mine. The questions are somewhat similar. The difficulty is about the same actually. That's how easy this exam is...
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I used the 3 guides from certiport for OS, N, Server admin, and yes they are all that easy...
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I went through it recently and passed with 1 question missed. I reviewed a few questions before I got bored and decided to just book it. If you have experience this thing will easily be a cake walk. Even those without experience that have common computer knowledge should find MOST of the questions obvious. Especially when you are taking a Microsoft exam and only one of the answers is obviously Microsoft related...
    I passed the test today but it wasn't a cakewalk. You must have strong hands-on experience with XP-7 and all of their features components, security and upgrades/requirements. The Certiport guide is NOTHING like the test I took. There were no situations with reading comprehension needed, very short and too the point. Thankfully I have extensive job experience and relied totally on that. If you're looking to study, use the official objectives list. I do get reimbursed for my tests, so I feel it was worth my time. Not a complete pushover but lots of memorization needed.
  • eleversoneleverson Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am studying for the MTA 98-349. I was wondering if there were any free practice test? Also I would like to know how many questions was on the test? Could you give me an example of the questions on the test. This certiport guide is a trick. I know it can't be this simple.
  • glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been looking at the MTA's myself...they seem pretty basic. I think I might shell out the money with my tax returns and give them a shot :D
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2hrs to get the test started, 10 minutes to finish the test. This test is about as basic as M$ can make an OS exam. 1 question I think they took from the A+ exam. If you have any exp with Windows 7 then this test will be easy. I put this as easier then the CIW foundations exam.
  • HotSauce6226HotSauce6226 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im looking into taking this as well. And publications worth reading for this?
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @HotSauce6226 - The book below pretty much covers the requirements but if you have Windows 7 experience, you can pass the exam without studying anything:

Microsoft Windows Operating System Essentials: Tom Carpenter: 9781118195529: Amazon.com: Books
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • HotSauce6226HotSauce6226 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds promising. Maybe ill take a look into it before I take the test. Thank you sir.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those persons already at WGU or who have a Skillport Books 24x7 subscription, the link to the Microsoft Windows Operating System Essentials book is: http://skillport.books24x7.com/toc.aspx?bookid=45084

Microsoft Windows Server Administration Essentials

Microsoft Windows Networking: Essentials

Microsoft Windows Security: Essentials
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • zippie666zippie666 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's this easy then what is the value it holds?
    I understand if you're entry-level this can be an "easy first step" but are there guys that have a lot of MS certs that also go for this exam?
    Current cert:
    MCSA: Windows 7, 8 & Server 2008
    EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
    EXIN ISO 27002 Foundations
    CIW Web Professional
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Took this today and passed with a 90%. Had some oddball stuff that wasn't in the official book but thankfully I knew based on experience. I would say read the book and do the gmetrix practice exams. I liked gmetrix better than uCertify for this exam.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Kyler123Kyler123 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking this exam tomorrow, just graduated from school took system administration for 2 years.. is this test going to be cakewalk?
  • spacerspacer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it'll be a cakewalk for those who've gotten over the "hump". Dealing with the average user, I can say most of them would consider it hopelessly technical, but anyone who has actually worked in the field, or is even a casual enthusiast, should be able to pass with little problem. It's one way to get a foot in the door with MS, if one doesn't already have a higher level cert. In fact, I'm planning to do the 367 mostly to fill in a low-level security cert for the time being, as I don't have a higher level one planned for a while.
    spacer wrote: »
    I think it'll be a cakewalk for those who've gotten over the "hump". Dealing with the average user, I can say most of them would consider it hopelessly technical, but anyone who has actually worked in the field, or is even a casual enthusiast, should be able to pass with little problem. It's one way to get a foot in the door with MS, if one doesn't already have a higher level cert. In fact, I'm planning to do the 367 mostly to fill in a low-level security cert for the time being, as I don't have a higher level one planned for a while.

thanks for the reply, Yes ive worked networking for a year now and I have no Microsoft certs
    So I took the exam and none of the questions where technical honestly its as if I couldn't think that un technical.. I failed by like 2 and I have A+ Network+ and this exam just baffled me.
  • juicyfruit14juicyfruit14 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any recommendations on some free tests for this exam or decent online materials (Paid for & free) I've been involved with IT support for a while now, would I be best just going ahead with the exam?
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My boss gave me the Microsoft study guide for this test. Is this how the tests are actually written? I'm just trying to get a quick cert under my belt for HR purposes while I go to WGU and get my Bachelor's and better certs. The way the study guide is, it seems more like a test that pimps out windows features rather than actually quiz you on processes. When in doubt, just select the answer that has a Windows feature in it. Maybe the actual test is harder, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to pass.
  • CyantistCyantist Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it really this easy?

I ask because I'm scheduled to go into center for "training" for the exam in June, however had the opportunity to take an exam in hopes of becoming an MCP in virtualization for a much cheaper price than originally offered - unfortunately as long as I sat the exam before the end of May.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This exam is really that easy. All the MTAs have been.

Depending on your experience with IT, you could potentially study for a couple hours and easily pass.. I over did it when I studied because it was by first one, but the next two I took (networking and security) I just studied the Certiport study guides and the exam outline on MS website... the day of the test and passed.

If you just want an MCP, the 349 is by far the easiest way to get it.
  • CyantistCyantist Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This exam is really that easy. All the MTAs have been.

Depending on your experience with IT, you could potentially study for a couple hours and easily pass.. I over did it when I studied because it was by first one, but the next two I took (networking and security) I just studied the Certiport study guides and the exam outline on MS website... the day of the test and passed.

If you just want an MCP, the 349 is by far the easiest way to get it.

I'm an apprentice, and will be doing 349, 365, 366 and 367, my instructor did say 349 was easy [his exact words were "piece of p*ss" or something similar.], they've also alloted aprx 2 days of center traing to it, as opposed to 1 week or even 2 like some of them.

We were given the Sybex books for each of the exams and from what I've read on here and else where, they are up there in terms of being the best resources, what I've read thus far seems to reinforce that.
  • Scott400Scott400 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

I know this has been beaten to death, but I've been working as a Technology Support Agent for 5 years now, and was thinking about getting certified. From what I can read the MTA IT Infrastructure cert. is a cake walk for someone with experience? Just wondering if anyone could educate me on what they are looking for when taking the A+ practical exam?
  • ITInstructor2014ITInstructor2014 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My organization just received entrance to Microsoft's IT Academy and I am expected to prep students for both the MTA and MCSA exams. So as a measurement of what was on the exam I took the 98-349 exam this past Thursday with minimal studying which equated to looking over the Wiley publishing study guide for 30 minutes the morning of the exam. I came away with an 85 out of 100 (the passing score being a 70) and the material was fairly basic. To anyone who has worked with Windows 7 Pro for a year I would guess you would have a good chance to pass. With that being said some of the wording in the questions is NOT self explanatory and can catch people off-guard if they are not paying attention.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My organization just received entrance to Microsoft's IT Academy and I am expected to prep students for both the MTA and MCSA exams. So as a measurement of what was on the exam I took the 98-349 exam this past Thursday with minimal studying which equated to looking over the Wiley publishing study guide for 30 minutes the morning of the exam. I came away with an 85 out of 100 (the passing score being a 70) and the material was fairly basic. To anyone who has worked with Windows 7 Pro for a year I would guess you would have a good chance to pass. With that being said some of the wording in the questions is NOT self explanatory and can catch people off-guard if they are not paying attention.

I agree. The wording is a little weird, but yeah these tests are pretty straight forward.

-scott
  • bohdibohdi Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In follow up to whats been said, i got the wiley book and spent maybe 5 hours reading through and doing practice tests and passed last week with a score of 80. Personally i found some of the questions strange and different to what i expected, I am by no means an expert either. A bit of prep and study i think is enough to get most people who have used win7 through i think.
This discussion has been closed.