Options

VMWare vs Microsoft

saffyresaffyre Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just curious how worthwhile it is to go for VMWare certifications instead of working with Hyper-V this late in the game. I keep seeing battles between friends/forums about which is better to work on. I am not trying to start a fight or anything on this, just a honest question as I am new to the Virtualization realm. I'd like to get into Network Engineering, and it seems the real only requirement for all of the jobs here in town that I am missing (experience-wise) is the Virtualization experience. Is the MCSE enough to claim virtualization experience, or is putting the money down and claiming a VMWare cert a much better option?

My current path for certifications is CCNA > Upgrade to MCSE2012 from MCITP2008, and just curious if I should throw in a bit of studying for the VMWare certifications. Can probably start on it in the next 6 months or so.
WGU Progress: Network Design and Management: started 04/12
Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
Courses needed: BOV1, BNC1, TPV1, SBT1, RCT1 (20 CU)
Courses in progress: BIV1 (6 CU)

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I dont think a cert replaces experience and the MCSE wouldnt replace commercial virtualization experience. I reckon you'd get more bang for your buck with a VMware cert, atleast for now. Hyper-v is here to stay, the product has evolved and rivals vSphere like never before. You wouldnt go wrong with either if your good at them, but like I said - with vSphere you'll get more for your efforts.

IMO, your best bet to get some virtualization experience would be to get that cert and either work on the virtualization environment at your current place of work or find one which will let you get your hands dirty with virtualization. That's a curious path you have there, CCNA > MCSE. You want to be a network engineer, go for the CCNP. You'll waste your time doing the Microsoft certs if you dont want to be working on it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think you'll be in good shape if you put the VMWare training either before or after your upgrade to MCSE. Depending on what you're doing in Server 2012 territory, you're either going to be doing a little bit of studying on Hyper-V 3.0 or a LOT of studying on it. Hyper-V is part of the MCSA Windows Server 2012 upgrade exam, and you'll be seeing quite a bit of it if you do MCSA Server Infrastructure, MCSA Desktop Infrastructure, or MCSA Private Cloud.

Although, I will agree with Essendon, if you're looking to get into a network engineering position you're probably not doing yourself any favors spending that much time on Microsoft technologies. Hit the 70-417 after CCNA to get the MCSA Windows Server 2012, find a community college in your area that does the VCP class, then move on to CCNP. You won't have dropped the ball completely on the certs you already have, you'll get enough virtualization training on both Hyper-V and VMWare to handle working with either, and you'll be closer to your goal of network engineering the sooner you get onto the CCNP path.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    saffyresaffyre Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually think I like those ideas. All of the Network Engineer jobs that are available here in town are 7 Years of Experience on Cisco, Windows Server, MPLS, etc etc.... 4 Years experience in Virtualization, and a Bachelors.
    Bachelor's is about 4 classes from finishing at WGU > 6 years of exerience on servers > 6 years of experience in networking, but no IOS experience, which to mean means almost no experience without IOS> About 1 1/2 years in virtualization.

We have some customers who we support Hyper-V environments. I mostly need to study up on the topics and start taking some certs to prove my knowledge I believe. Currently a IT Consultant looking to take my next steps and progressing the career! I've always been told to keep myself rounded by my current boss. He'd also like to see me as a CCIE, ASAP if he had his way.

Current job also pays for all certifications if I pass, so it's working out well and i'm using it as much as I can. (It's a new perk they passed down to me for being good at what I do.)
    WGU Progress: Network Design and Management: started 04/12
    Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
    Courses needed: BOV1, BNC1, TPV1, SBT1, RCT1 (20 CU)
    Courses in progress: BIV1 (6 CU)