MS Server 2012 Exams worth it for SQL Exams?

MercfhMercfh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Preface: Im a Software Developer of 5 years, I recently moved to a new job that deals with alot of database stuff, mainly using 2012 Server and SQL Server 2012. Now im pretty used to using Hyper-V to do most basic tasks and set up SQL and such...but I want to delve deeper into it.

However im wondering if the MS Server 2012 Exams/Certs are worth it? or should I just go straight for SQL? Because my industry is NOT IT however my company is paying to offer me to go to the SQL Server Official training classes....so Im wondering if it's really worth it to get certified at all for MS Server 2012? Or probably not?

I am a pretty decent programmer, but i'd like to get into SQL Development, and having this cert on my side would be handy!

Either way it seems like 2012 SQL Server has alot of new books, I have all the MS Kits however Im really not sure what videos to use? Is CBT Nuggets still the gold standard?

If MS Server Exams are worth taking? should I just maybe go with the MS Kits to maybe just gain the knowledge and not necessarily take the tests? or maybe just the videos?

Thanks!

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It certainly couldn't hurt to have that Windows Server 2012 knowledge under your belt, giving you a better understanding of how SQL Server 2012 ties into AD, works with other Microsoft applications, etc. It is, however, a pretty long road to take if you're not going to work directly with the Windows Server platform as an administrator.

It's going to be a matter of choice for you, in the end. If I were in your shoes, I would do it and earn the full MCSE on SQL Server, but that is only one mans opinion.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • MercfhMercfh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I considered that, but I really won't ever be administering 2012 server as any sort of system admin, it's mainly going to be setting up test environments to run SQL Server. Because im guessing the MCSE is a long path.....

Maybe Absorbing all the Info I can right now (Since I just started this job a little while ago) To where im comfortable with it, then moving onto actually trying to get SQL Server Certs? Maybe spending 3-4 months on the server 2012 however?

Any suggestions on MS Server 2012 books? or is the training kits+ CBT probably enough for a self-study not looking to get the cert?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The MS Press books, (the green ones,) plus the CBT Nuggets should be plenty to get you on your way, regardless of if you're going for the exams or not.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • MercfhMercfh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your help! I guess for SQL Server i'd want some practical experience along with the books/videos of course haha!