Net+ paper certificate

-prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm not usually one to grumble, but my certificate just arrived by post and to be honest, it is pretty budget. It is an obvious printout from an average office colour printer on a normal sheet of A4 (with bent edges from the posting I must add)...

When I showed it to my boss, he asked if I had printed this copy for him, I told him it was the original...

I'd like to know if normal. My cert was sent from the German office of Comptia.

Cheers,
Prophet

Comments

• certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The new comptia certificates are garbage. Pure trash.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    The old ones aren't any fancier....it's a piece of paper. You could also laminate it, and then frame it to help preserve it......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Hi prophet,

It ain't about the paper. It's more about the knowledge that you gained in studying for this certification. All my certificates are enshrined in a manila folder in a file cabinet drawer. I consider the pride and satisfaction of my own personal accomplishment to be far greater than a certificate suitable for framing. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi prophet,

It ain't about the paper. It's more about the knowledge that you gained in studying for this certification. All my certificates are enshrined in a manila folder in a file cabinet drawer. I consider the pride and satisfaction of my own personal accomplishment to be far greater than a certificate suitable for framing. icon_cool.gif

Not everyone is the same. I like to hang mine on the wall. Quality means a lot to me.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Everyone is complaining about the new microsoft ones as being terrible also.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • ApokApok Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The certs are kind of crappy but my biggest complaint was the card. Being a road warrior tech, my certs just sit at home for no one to see, but i can carry my cards around with me, especially if i ever need the ID numbers. Microsoft send nice sturdy plastic cards, but Comptia sends a plain paper card that can get messed up in the wallet pretty easily.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I have to say I agree with Apok. COMPtia could spring for some quality wallet cards. I have my in a plastic holder and they still look used up.

The certs look better if you get a nice frame with a mat.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    I was definitely surprised at the CompTIA certificates too, just a colorjet printout at best.

Kind of funny when you explain the test to non-techies and then show them the certificate and watch their expression.

They are like, "The original must be on the wall at home right?"
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I must say that the CompTIA certs remind me of those times that you're on a sports team in high school or middle school and at the end of the season you have the 'Team Awards'. They resemble those pointless paper awards you get like 'Most Inspirational' or some other pointless garbage to make you feel good about something.

I agree with the others, I like to hang my stuff on the wall and showcase it. The CompTIA wallet card resembles a $5 long distance phone card, but the MS card is nice.
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree the certs look like crap, but then again it’s just a peace of paper anyway. I framed my A+ and its hanging near my computer, I have not framed my Net+ yet, don’t know if I am going to bother.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    My A+ is from 2003 and my network+ is from this year.... I can tell both are pretty cheap looking but I do tend to favor the A+ 2003 cert I have... More of a classic look to it.
  • PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    While the CompTIA certs may not be the most eye catching i have to agree with some of the other posts, its all about the achievement in attaining said certificate.

I have my A+ and Network+ on my wall and when i look at them, it gives me a great feeling of acomplishment for getting it.
    The long hours of looking in to books have finally paid off.

Anyhow congrats on getting your Network+ certificate, may the next certificate be more eye catching.

And the knowledge you gain from these certificates will be all worth it in the end.

Trust me

Regards

Eamonn :D
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • RisingPhoenixRisingPhoenix Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I'm not impressed with the way they look either. The one thing that really pissed me off was when I first brough my a+ and network+ certs to work, the first person asked if I printed those off myself. The thing that REALLY pisses me off is that they dont even get your name lined up on the certificate. The sections that goes This certiffies that:______ My name is a good space above that line and it looks like crap. I actually wanted to take down the certifications when my coworkers made fun of them (I work as an IT guy for an accounting firm) but I decided to say screw it, I earned this junk looking certificate lol.
  • JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i agree. when i got my a+ cert in the mail, it looked dandy and all, but after i looked at it for a few seconds, i could see it was just printed on a normal piece of paper from a regular color printer.

i think they should make the card and the cert in a nice plastic lamination type thing.
  • ApokApok Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Especially since Comptia certs are for life. MS certs might as well have expiration dates, so that's not as big a deal, but we're supposed to keep that paper card forever? And when you reorder it, what does that $15 go to? I could make a much nicer card myself at Kinkos for $15.
  • namanama Member Posts: 187
    i was thinking of bringing the A+ paper wallet card to some professional printing shops and let them transfer the image to a plastic card so that it'll look more professional. icon_wink.gif
    Laminate Deluxe
    attachment.php?s=e3478797f797a9e68fd0a69bb259b7b7&postid=1273832icon_cool.gif
    they don't make'em like they used to...
    attachment.php?s=3607c8e9348eee5c79e9cb407e51df2c&postid=1273834
  • netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I agree, the knowledge in networking, and the proof of certification is the most important aspect, but all the same, come on comptia try and do better quality certs.

icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • ra13ra13 Member Posts: 137
    I agree also my A+ Cert is just a plain piece of paper nothing fancy, they should really change the way they make their certificates after all we are doing all the studying and taking our time to get the material and try to pass on one try and all we get is a piece of paper that I can get form staplesicon_smile.gif I'm gonna wrote to comptia and see if I get a respnse I will post something if I get a response.
  • jcoltajcolta Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did CompTIA just change the certificate design? I received my cert today, it actually looks cool!! Cheap paper but nice design. It is a blue and white one with a globe on it...when I googled network+ certificate, all of them were ugly gold and white ones that looked like they were designed by a 3rd grader.
  • JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yea, the newest comptia certs are the blue ones. i just got my network+ in the mail today and its exactly the same as the A+, cept its says network instead. ;)

but yea, nothing special...just normal paper
  • ra13ra13 Member Posts: 137
    Congratulations to the both of you on your pass icon_smile.gif I'm trying to get time put aside to start studying for my network+ I'm just a little scared on how tough the test really is I have heard mixed thoughts. Any help would be greatly appeaciated.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Keep in mind with a passed certification you are permitted to use the logos from CompTIA and MS (according to their terms) where you could create your own business card to highlight the certifications if it matters for you.

I cannot think of a single time anyone (client) has ever requested my card to 'prove' knowledge. Certainly, the MS cards are very nice. CST/SNST have nice certificates and their card was laminated.

So, anyone who is looking to advertise their creditentials, I think it is wise to consider the guidelines for using the logos you have now gained access to and print up nice literature with your company logo and the approprate cert infomration.

:5 cents:
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • elgecko69elgecko69 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was not overjoyed with the A+, Net+ certificates. A while later I received an MCP certificate. Most people I showed it to just laughed, and I must admit it was the cheapest looking thing I have ever seen. These guys are in business to make money and they don't want to kick in any more than they have to for your wall decorations. I have a card from my middleschool computer club (very old) and it smokes those Comptia wallet cards.

I know what went into getting the papers so it doesn't bother me too much. I wonder where all that money goes?