Taking a break from WGU to do the 70-680

IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have completed 54 CU's so far this term at WGU (92 CU's in total so far). My current term ends April 30 and I am registered for another 4 CU's but I decided to take a break to focus on passing the 70-680. I am not yet working in the IT field so I feel that a solid entry-level certificate on my resume would bolster my chances of getting that first IT job. The choices boiled down to either the CCENT or the 70-680, however, as I am currently in an IT internship where I mainly deploy Windows 7, I feel that the 70-680 is the right choice at the moment.

My friends, am I making a mistake by focusing on other certs at this time rather than accelerating the completion of the BS? To be honest, I feel a bit burnt out by my WGU studies and I actually do enjoy studying the 70-680 material over the stuff I have left at WGU. I have no plans to complete WGU in one semester, so I have until October 31 to complete the remaining 26 CU's.
Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]

Comments

• AlexCrossAlexCross Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would finish the degree first. You can always study in your free time for the 680 while you are finishing up with classes. The 680 is a big exam. I'm not trying to scare you, but there is a lot to know for it.

I think a lot of jobs look for the degree plus certifications, not certifications plus degree. I would also argue that a BS degree is worth more than a single MS certification.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @AlexCross - thanks for the advice - I'll finish up the degree and study for the 70-680 at the same time that I am doing the WGU written courses.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Focus your energy on trying to find an entry-level job or a paid internship. A degree and certifications will help a lot further down the road but they are not necessary for an entry-level position, unless the job market is very competitive in your area.
    @sratakhin - I have a full-time non-IT job at a public college in NYC and I am doing an unpaid internship in the IT department there. I have tried unsuccessfully to get an entry-level IT job, so I am focusing my efforts into transferring to IT - it's not easy - competition is stiff, and that's why I am also trying to put more solid certs than the ones I have now on my resume.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd finish your degree. Taking a break may turn into a longer break than you intend. You don't have much left to do. If you are already deploying Windows 7, then you are getting that valuable experience now.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Hey Ivan I feel your pain, we started at the same time and have the same CU's done, I'm burnt out all ready and still have 3 MCITP server exams to go.... I would continue to work on WGU stuff, I'm guessing you have a lot of the bigger writing classes like myself left, you can work on those while doing you windows 7 related internship, a lot of that exam is deployment related so waiting to take that test after you've gotten some hands on would be serious plus.
    Thanks, @nosoup4u and @Psoasman - you guys have given me invaluable advice.