Options

Just got a nice Job Offer...Anything is achievable if you put your mind to it!

xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
A year ago today I was working in a Small Shop repairing computers. I then got my A+ and N+ and got a o.k. paying Help Desk Job. 6 Months later I got promoted to Help Desk Supervisor. After going through about a year of the Help Desk hell as I call it, I finally got a break. I put an o.k resume together and started putting it out there. I got a call from a recruiter about a Level 2 support job that includes a little bit of help desk and a lot of on-site client support. They support everything from Servers to Voip to cloud data centers to routing to "anything that connects to a wall outlet". The requirements were specific on experience on certain areas which I knew that I had little to no experience on. I applied anyway!

Got called in for an Interview Yesterday and they were asking me questions which I was straight forward and honest with them and told them that I have no experience in it, but that I was motivated and excited to get my hands on the technology.(They were asking stuff about HP switches and some sonic firewall and AD and a little Cisco) I was able to answer a few questions but then when they started grinding me on things that they knew i didnt know, I didnt freak out. I also didnt BS any answers, I told them that I know I dont have experience, and I know that there are probably 30 Resumes after me that show qualified individuals that have probably been doing these kinds of jobs for a long time, but I can guarantee them that there arent going to be as many motivated and passionate candidates like I am in there. I told them that I was willing to Risk my cushy 9-5 job for a job that I would have to work endless hours just so that I can get the experience and learn and prove something of myself. I told them about WGU and what its about and how 1 year from now, with the right guidance, I can be one of their most valuable assets.

From that point on , the atmosphere changed and the interviewer(VP of IT for the company) shook my hand and told me that I am the most honest candidate he has spoken to in a long time. Long Story short I left the interview with my head high. I get a call today from my recruiter and he lets me know that I got offered the job. Recruiter told me that they they were really happy with the way I handled myself and know that with time I would be as good if not better then the engineers there (i think the recruiter just said that cause the VP guy was a really smart guy...kind of intimidatingly smart lol) The Offer was for about 10k more then what I make now and I start next week.

I want to thank TE for giving me the extra motivation I needed to succeed. You guys have helped me keep my head up when I was losing hope and going crazy at the help desk. I know this job is not going to be a breeze. But its exactly what I need as the next step in my career to get the experience and mentoring to be the best IT GUY (i say IT guy cause im not 100% sure on what I want to be yet ... maybe some sys admin/net admin or security or voip ...not sure yet) I can be. Thank you TE

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, very well done.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    great story. very motivational.
    congrats on your success
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    *Standing ovation*

Congratulations! I cannot stress it enough now that you have your foot in the door (the most difficult part) to be like a sponge and be open to learn. Positive attitude and your willingness to learn will take you to places you can;t yet imagine.

Seriously, right now is all about gathering experience. Don't worry so much about salary as I promise you that will come soon enough and you will be looking back to March 2013 astonished at how far you have come technically and financially.

You are on your way, welcome to IT brother! It's on now! Woooo!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Motivation and hard work will take you much further based on your track record.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    Thank you all, Im going to absorb all the info I can. With starting WGU and a new Job im really focused on my career now. Hopefully a year from now I'll be leaps and bounds more knowledgeable about everything. Thank you all for your support
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Another fine example of the right attitude paying off.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    CONGRATS!!! WOOHOO!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats OP. Threads like this are a constant motivation for me.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Congratulations. I hope to find a similar break myself in the next few months. Glad to see some people are making it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and have fun at the new job. Honesty is indeed the best policy :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Awesome man that is waht it's all about. Selling yourself.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!Hard work does pay off.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Thank you ALL :)!!!, I just got the paperwork for the background check and they're apparently going to do a Credit Check as well....is this normal? i have great credit and a perfect record but I've never heard of a credit check for employment.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    xocity wrote: »
    Thank you ALL :)!!!, I just got the paperwork for the background check and they're apparently going to do a Credit Check as well....is this normal? i have great credit and a perfect record but I've never heard of a credit check for employment.

For some idiotic reason some companies are doing that now, I think it's absurd IMO.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    ITSupermanITSuperman Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! It's good and refreshing to know that honesty will still get you ahead.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Awesome! It's always nice to see those that put in the effort getting opportunities to move up.
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Inspiring post, congratulations! Keep us updated.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, definitely your motivation and love for IT has helped take great steps to continue foward. Good luck on your future challenges!!!
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    xocity wrote: »

I told them that I know I dont have experience, and I know that there are probably 30 Resumes after me that show qualified individuals that have probably been doing these kinds of jobs for a long time, but I can guarantee them that there arent going to be as many motivated and passionate candidates like I am in there. I told them that I was willing to Risk my cushy 9-5 job for a job that I would have to work endless hours just so that I can get the experience and learn and prove something of myself. I told them about WGU and what its about and how 1 year from now, with the right guidance, I can be one of their most valuable assets.

This is pretty boss... I'm going to steal it... BOOM! it's mine

but yeah, congrats
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    KaiiKaii Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kepp the fire up.! :D
    I`m the Designer of my Own Catastrophy

“The best way to predict the FUTURE is to CREATE it”
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    This is pretty boss... I'm going to steal it... BOOM! it's mine

but yeah, congrats

Lol you can have it, cant say it will work everytime though, Thanks
  • Options
    vayzevayze Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratulations!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! It sounds like a great opportunity.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Nicely done!