Options

Acronyms

TechChica2012TechChica2012 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Should I expect a lot of questions asking what acronyms stand for??? Or are questions like that omitted? I mean will I get questions like what does FTP stand for? I'm just wondering with some of the more harder to remember ones like TACACS+ if i'll need to remember exactly what it stands for even-though I know what it is.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There are times some tests will use the acronym and the full name interchangeably, so being able to recognize that Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is DHCP, Domain Name System is DNS, etc., will be important. More than likely, you'll see questions in this format:
    ABC stands for what?
    A) Already Been Chewed
    B) Already Been Chopped
    C) Al's Baroque Chairs
    D) Any Bridge of Choice
    And you have to pick out the correct answer from the list. Note the two similar answers, that's the kind of thing test-vendors will throw at you to make sure you're paying attention. Practice tests do the same to make sure you know your stuff.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    As Slowhand mentions, you might be tested on this differently. In my experience recently, I see that CompTIA often uses the acronym to test your knowledge of what it is rather than the specific words they represent.

For example, you might be asked "What is a method of securing file transfer traffic with SSH?" and you need to be able to pick SFTP from the list. In this case, you need to recognize that File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is used for transferring files and Secure Shell (SSH) is used to secure FTP traffic as SFTP. Similarly, you might be asked "Which of the following is the most secure method of securing file transfer traffic?" The list might include one of the following: FTPS, SCP, and SFTP. You need to know what each of them are to be able to recognize they are valid answers.

I doubt that you'll be expected to pick the specific words related to TACACS+. However, you should know it's purpose and be able to compare it against other authentication services such as RADIUS.

I've seen the same pattern repeated in A+ and Network+ exams. For example, a question like "What is the purpose of DHCP?" can only be answered if you understand what it does.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    There are times some tests will use the acronym and the full name interchangeably, so being able to recognize that Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is DHCP, Domain Name System is DNS, etc., will be important. More than likely, you'll see questions in this format:

And you have to pick out the correct answer from the list. Note the two similar answers, that's the kind of thing test-vendors will throw at you to make sure you're paying attention. Practice tests do the same to make sure you know your stuff.

ABC stands for what?
    A) Already Been Chewed
    B) Already Been Chopped
    C) Al's Baroque Chairs

D) Any Bridge of Choice

I didn't see any questions like this, took it yesterday

To the extent acronyms are used, it might ask what a CRL contains. You need to know what CRL is to know how to answer the question.

my2cents
  • Options
    TechChica2012TechChica2012 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks this helps clear it up for me......