Need n+ experts for upcoming exam....

VikingSeanVikingSean Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

My name is Sean and I'm relatively new to this site. I've been on here taking practice exams and reading the forums for about 6 months now. This site seems to have the best resources of experts and practice exams.

I'm looking for anybody who recently passed the N10-004 and/or N10-1005 in the past year. I passed the A+ back in 2006 (lifetime certified, but still old stuff), and I've watched (32) hour-long videos for the N10-004 (it was cheaper than the new one)icon_study.gif.

Please let me know what you think I should emphasize and if and how this is different from the CompTIA A+ style exam I took back in 2006. I plan on becoming more dedicated to this and taking it in April, and would love to hear from the experts who passed as well as those who passed and had the "I wish I knew this back then..." situation. I'm "back then" and would love to benefit from your expertise :D

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    You'll find the CompTIA's style of questions are still similar. Most are one or two sentence questions with multiple choice answers but a new type of question is performance based questions. This page includes a link of multiple blogs on Network+ http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/category/comptia/network/ that might be helpful and this page talks about performance based questions http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/network-performance-based-questions/

You probably know that the N10-004 expired August 31, 2012. This page covers the differences between the two: http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/network-n10-004-n10-005-differences/. You have the best chance of success if you use materials for the exam you're taking. In other words, watching N10-004 videos doesn't set you up for success with the N10-005.

Hope this helps.
  • VikingSeanVikingSean Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Darril! This will definitely help.

When were you certified for NET+?
    I had to look that up...

My transcript shows I was originally certified in 2004 for Network+ but then certified in Network+ CE on May 10, 2011. I'm curious what prompted the question.
  • Nigel-JamesNigel-James Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the N+ N10-004 roughly a year ago now, I also passed the A+ around 2 years ago and I noticed no difference in the way that the A+ & N+ tests were structured or how questions were asked.

I feel you have nothing to worry about.

Study hard and cover all areas and you will pass.
    Eat or be eaten.
    It's just a habit. I wasn't questioning your credentials (they are quite impressive), but I like to have an understanding of who I take advice from. It just helps with decision making. I wasn't going to disqualify you either way, but if your certification was somewhat antiquated (like the 2004), then I might've asked a couple more questions to better understand what's needed by for passing the NET+ 10-005
    Darril wrote: »
    I had to look that up...

My transcript shows I was originally certified in 2004 for Network+ but then certified in Network+ CE on May 10, 2011. I'm curious what prompted the question.

Thank you. I'm glad to hear it. I will be studying hard and practice-examing it until I have it down. I've heard the OSI is the toughest section.
  • flash27flash27 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not feeling the OSI at first but after reading two books about it, I think I understand it now for the most part.
    flash27 wrote: »
    Not feeling the OSI at first but after reading two books about it, I think I understand it now for the most part.
    <Grin>. The OSI doesn't sing to a lot of people so don't feel alone. However, you'll find that mastering it now will help you later. I know that you're considering pursuing security certs and the OSI and TCP models are referenced in many of those. It certainly helps getting the perspective of different authors for any topic that isn't clear at first.
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    I think I'm starting to understand it more. It's essentially just a group of protocols for different networking levels that are both independent and interrelated. Is that correct?
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    More or less yes, Viking, you've got it.
  • DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is a site that I have suggested the guys in my office use.
    Comptia Network+ Study Guide - Proprofs
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan