Welcome to the TechExams.net Virtualization Forum!

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
This new forum is for all discussions about virtualization products, information, training, and certification. Also welcome are questions about setting up a virtualization lab, configuring, using and troubleshooting virtualization software, and generally discovering what virtualization is.

For much, much more information on virtualization, please see our virtualization blog article.

Certifications for Virtualization Software

With VM software packages becoming more popular and complex, it is not surprising to see the arrival of vendor-specific VM certifications. The only virtualization certification currently available is from VMWare.

VMWare Certified Professional (VCP)

The VMWare Certified Professional (VCP) is VMWare's only certification. VMWare began offering VCP certification in 2005 for its ESX Server 2.x and VirtualCenter products. These certifications have been replace by the VCP on VI3 (Virtual Infrastructure 3) certification (exam code VCP-310). There is an upgrade path for people who have the older VCP certifications. There are 75 questions on the VCP on VI3 exam and 90 minutes is given to finish.

The only prerequisite for taking the VCP exam is attending the VMWare authorized VI3: Install and Configure class. The class training is mandatory and there is no "self-study only" option. Classroom training is available from both VMWare and Hewlett-Packard, and a "high intensity" 5-day class is available. Testing for the VCP certification is only available through Pearson Vue. For more information, see the VMWare Certification FAQ.

There are computer-based training materials available for VMWare products from both Train Signal and CBT Nuggets. Both of these products focus on the VMWare Infrastructure and ESX Server training. Several blogs mention VCP certification and offer opinions and exam notes:

VCP Certified

VCP Training Notes

The Value of the VCP (VMware Certified Professional)

Tips on VMware and Linux

Books, Articles, and Blogs on Virtualization

VirtualizationReview.com

Redmondmag.com

NetworkWorld.com

How to...Perform Server Virtualization - CertMag.com

Here Come the Hypervisors - CertMag.com

What Is Virtualization - WindowsDevCenter.com

Mac Virtualization News - O'Reilly Mac DevCenter Blog

VMWare books at Amazon.com

Microsoft Virtual PC books at Amazon.com

XenSource books at Amazon.com

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice blog post JD!

I emailed VMWare about their course prerequisite, and this was their response:
    VMWare.com wrote:
    There is a class and test requirement for the VCP certification. You will need to take one of the following classes to meet the requirement.

1. VI 3: Install and Configure
    2. VI 3: DSA
    3. VI 3: Fast Track

Class information, including schedules and prices, can be found at www.vmware.com/education. Please note that all the classes currently available are 3.5. Once you complete class you can take the VCP 310 test. The test is available through our testing company Pearson VUE. www.pearsonvue.com/vmware

A passing score is 70. Once we confirm your VCP status, a welcome kit will be mailed to you.

It looks like you can take the Deploy, Secure, and Analyze course as well. IMO, the course requirement makes this much more difficult for a lot of people to obtain. The Install and Configure and DSA courses are mid-$2000, and the Fast Track is over $5000. I haven't seen anyone in MN even offer the Fast Track, and I believe Chicago is the closest.

Also be sure to check out IT Idiots episodes 13, 17, 26, 33, and 39.
    http://itidiots.com/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It will be interesting to see how the introduction of Microsoft's Hyper-V technology in Windows Server 2008 affects the pricing of both VMWare's ESX Server product and VMWare's certification. A recent article on virtualization in NetworkWorld (March 10, 200icon_cool.gif puts the cost of VMWare's ESX Server at $3000 per socket, but Hyper-V is free on Server 2008 and $28 elsewhere. People won't buy Server 2008 just to get a free, enterprise-class virtualization environment, but if MS manages to port Hyper-V to other Windows platforms then VMWare will have a real pricewar on its hands.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just an fyi, the link to VMware's education page is busted.

Here's to the Education portal: http://mylearn1.vmware.com/portals/certification/
    Here's to the course schedules: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?dsp=all&ui=www
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here are the costs for each of the exams:

VI3: What's New V3.5 (Online) - $100 +Tax
    VI3: Install and Configure V3.5 (Online) - $2995 +Tax
    VI3: Skills for Operators (Online) - $1495 +Tax

VI3: Install and Configure V3.5 - $2995 +Tax
    VI3: Deploy, Secure, and Analyze V3.5 - $3295 +Tax
    VI3: Fast Track V3.5 - $5495 +Tax
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I'm all for vitualization guys...... :D

But why on earth is all the Virtualization forums threads/posts appearing within the cisco latest thread updates????

Click Cisco on the left hand side menu and you shall see once you scroll down the page icon_sad.gif

Just thought I would give you the heads up :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    A.P.A wrote:
    But why on earth is all the Virtualization forums threads/posts appearing within the cisco latest thread updates????
    Webmaster will fix. There's no such thing as a "bug free" product launch. :P
  • Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    Virtualization = Fantastic.
  • bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Word of advise, don't take the Deploy, Secure and Analyze to prep for the VCP.

This class is considered an "alternate" to the install and config class. It focuses on command line administration via the ESX Service Console. There are no test questinos regarding commands in the Service Console.

According to my instructor, Install and Config is all that is needed to pass the VCP.

The fasttrack is a hybrid between the two and you get a voucher for the exam. It is more or less a 12 hour X 5 day boot camp with VMware certified instructors.

Happy Testing!
    Working on MCSE 2003 and B.S. in Networking
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ccaltacc wrote:
    Word of advise, don't take the Deploy, Secure and Analyze to prep for the VCP.
    DSA was added as an option for people who had been working with ESX for a few years and who wanted to get their VCP but didn't want to "go back to basics" and instead get some value out of the training. The DSA course content now maps to the Enterprise exam in the VCDX track. I&C like you said maps to the VCP exam.
  • ethanjamesethanjames Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow! Nice information. keep us updated..
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    With VMware now having several exams, I would think it makes sense to have a dedicated or combined forum for VMware certs. As it is now, Tech Exams has VMware lumped in the general discussion section as if the site doesn't know what to make of it. In fact, it's not even a VMware forum. It's a virtualization general forum which would seem to include MS and Citrix virtualization certs.

VCP2 exam
    VCP3 exam
    VCP4 exam
    Master VCP (coming soon)
    VCDX Enterprise Admininstration exam
    VCDX Design exam
    VCDX Design Submission
    VCDX Defense Panel
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • charlessmilecharlessmile Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i like this informative post so much.Its interesting and informative about the software and certification.I like its and mail all of my friends to get information form here.

Thanks

JDMurray wrote: »
    This new forum is for all discussions about virtualization products, information, training, and certification. Also welcome are questions about setting up a virtualization lab, configuring, using and troubleshooting virtualization software, and generally discovering what virtualization is.

For much, much more information on virtualization, please see our virtualization blog article.

Certifications for Virtualization Software

With VM software packages becoming more popular and complex, it is not surprising to see the arrival of vendor-specific VM certifications. The only virtualization certification currently available is from VMWare.

VMWare Certified Professional (VCP)

The VMWare Certified Professional (VCP) is VMWare's only certification. VMWare began offering VCP certification in 2005 for its ESX Server 2.x and VirtualCenter products. These certifications have been replace by the VCP on VI3 (Virtual Infrastructure 3) certification (exam code VCP-310). There is an upgrade path for people who have the older VCP certifications. There are 75 questions on the VCP on VI3 exam and 90 minutes is given to finish.

The only prerequisite for taking the VCP exam is attending the VMWare authorized VI3: Install and Configure class. The class training is mandatory and there is no "self-study only" option. Classroom training is available from both VMWare and Hewlett-Packard, and a "high intensity" 5-day class is available. Testing for the VCP certification is only available through Pearson Vue. For more information, see the VMWare Certification FAQ.

There are computer-based training materials available for VMWare products from both Train Signal and CBT Nuggets. Both of these products focus on the VMWare Infrastructure and ESX Server training. Several blogs mention VCP certification and offer opinions and exam notes:

VCP Certified

VCP Training Notes

The Value of the VCP (VMware Certified Professional)

Tips on VMware and Linux

Books, Articles, and Blogs on Virtualization

Home -- Virtualization Review

Redmondmag.com

NetworkWorld.com

How to...Perform Server Virtualization - CertMag.com

Here Come the Hypervisors - CertMag.com

What Is Virtualization - WindowsDevCenter.com

Mac Virtualization News - O'Reilly Mac DevCenter Blog

VMWare books at Amazon.com

Microsoft Virtual PC books at Amazon.com

XenSource books at Amazon.com
    Nothing is impossible in this IT world.
  • TrueliesTruelies Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All, I have a voucher for the exam 70-659, it will expire the 30th May 2012, I'm preparing for another exam so I will write it here in case someone else want to go for it, please do not waste it!

Here it is: SL00210E9F

See ya!
    Truelies
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great stuff - no appointments available here until May 30 icon_sad.gif

Thanks for sharing though !
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • JuanNoExperienceJuanNoExperience Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have no previous experience working with VMware Im currently working in sales for a technology company and I'm interested in becoming VMware certified. what kind of advice do you have to offer to someone like my self who has no previous experience in IT could i get certified without having any previous experience in IT. if i took the ICM class.
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stanly Community College offers VMware VCP course online. Here is the link to add your name to the online wait list: https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php