Cisco WS-C3550-24-SMI Multi Layer Switch

Darwin84Darwin84 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi chaps,

Anyone have any experience with the Cisco WS-C3550-24-SMI Multi Layer Switch?

Looking at getting a couple in for CCNP study.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    They're not that bad, apparently.

INE published this list of the key differences between the 3550 and the 3560: Catalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE

Compare this list with the objectives of the test you're studying for.

EDIT: To answer your original question, I currently use 3550-48 ports. The image determines the functionality, more than anything else.

I think that possibly you're also asking the SMI vs. EMI question, and that's been covered a bunch of times before, but basically, the naming convention has changed from what it was, but the image basically determines the feature set.

This thread at the Cisco Learning Forums seems to explain it fairly well: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/47544
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    instant is right, but you really don't need the features of a 3560 for the current CCNP exams, IMO. CCIE, definitely go for the 3560. For the CCNP, the 3550 will suit your needs.

Also, you'll need an EMI image..SMI won't allow you to do all layer 3 functions.

From Cisco.com:

SMI: The SMI image is essentially an L2-only image. However, Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(icon_cool.gifEA1b includes enhancements to the L2 feature set. This release and later SMI releases use the term "Layer2+". Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(11)EA1 adds basic L3 functionality to the SMI image. This L3 functionality includes static unicast routing, the Routing Information Protocol (RIP), and other features. This release and later SMI releases use the phrase "basic Layer 3 routing features".

EMI: The EMI image is an L2 image in combination with a full L3 feature set. This feature set includes:
    • Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP) and Enhanced IGRP (EIGRP)
    • Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) Protocol
    • Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGP4)
    • Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP)
    • Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I edited my post above while MRock was making his reply.

I think my post above is a bit more fully explained, if you read the links.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    I edited my post above while MRock was making his reply.

No worries- I just wanted to clarify..we got the job done collectively
  • Darwin84Darwin84 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys, thank you very much, very helpful.
  • sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My order of 2x3750 with PoE is in process now.
    I know most of you think that 3750 is extra expense but my next aim after NP is VP also.
    That is why I decided to pay extra-money for 3750.
    Why not 3560? Because i didn't notice a significant difference between 3560 and 3750.

However what are you thoughts about it?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've noticed the 3560 & 3750 prices have really come down lately (< $200 on eBay last I checked), so if you're planning on the IE soonish, it's something to consider. I got a 3550 SMI (free download from cisco to upgrade to EMI, by the way), but am glad I only bought one.

Of course if they change the CCIE as rumors suggest, then who knows. Plus I haven't looked at the 3550 price lately, so perhaps they've gone down as well (I bought mine for $100 a bit over a year ago)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    With respect to the IE, just because they change it doesn't mean the 3550/3560's will be useless- you'll still be able to configure most of the lab blueprint topics. Just a thought.
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    The 3550's are nice switches and will do you fine for the CCNP. I think there were only two minor topics that they didn't do, but were simple enough to read and remember. Too bad they don't do NAT, though. Imagine how useful real-world wise they would be for the money.
    3550 series does not support Private VLAN and as far as I know it has limited QoS features.
    Best, sacredboy!
    sacredboy wrote: »
    3550 series does not support Private VLAN and as far as I know it has limited QoS features.

Ah, damn.. that's a bit if a dampener. Thanks for pointing that out though.
    Darwin84 wrote: »
    Ah, damn.. that's a bit if a dampener. Thanks for pointing that out though.
    If I'm not mistaken PVLAN and QoS are not main topics in SWITCH track so it is thought 3550 is OK.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    sacredboy wrote: »
    My order of 2x3750 with PoE is in process now.
    I know most of you think that 3750 is extra expense but my next aim after NP is VP also.
    That is why I decided to pay extra-money for 3750.
    Why not 3560? Because i didn't notice a significant difference between 3560 and 3750.

However what are you thoughts about it?

Nah, 3750's aren't expensive when you are a baller like me. icon_cool.gif

Now get back to us when you rack a few 6500 switches and some 2960S's. hehehe

Seriously, nice lab equipment you have there and will carry you all the way to IE
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    For the CCNP you could lab 95% of the switch topics on a 3550, then use a few hours of rack rentals- you'd end up saving hundreds of dollars doing this. Just my $.02.
    Again, thanks to all for their input. Disicion made.. coupe of 3550 EMI's..

The missus will love this..... ha
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Or you could be like me and get them for free at work since I work for a partner. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • MatablaMatabla Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ... Was on a similar spot .... Have 2 3550 , lovely with free ios download from cisco website but ....
    1. No private vlans, only edge
    2. You can do hsrp , but not vrrp or glbp , that is from 3560 onwards , or you use routers , but then you need double fast ethernet ....
    2. Limited qos ....

bought one 3750 48 ports 4 sfp from ebay for 350 euros , looking for another one , then my home switch block is complete and in order for ccnp switch .... And having tons of fun !!!!! That is the main ingredient .... Passion and fun , then no exam is impossible !!!! Much regards to all :)