force purge of disconnected mailboxes

Is there a way to force the disconnected mailboxes to delete without removing the associated AD user account?

From what I have read so far, the remove-mailbox cmdlet can be used but it also gets rid of the AD user account which we do not want.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The remove-mailbox command only gets rid of the account if the Exchange Admin account you're using is also an AD administrator with privileges to remove the account.

I've had to do this before and used the following page with example commands (which do include purging disconnected mailboxes):
    http://www.exchangeninjas.com/Remove-Mailbox
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232039(EXCHG.80).aspx

I don't know of a way to do this via disable-mailbox as there's no documentation on how to do this with disable-mailbox.

Again, you could create an Exchange Admin account and leave it in only the Domain Users group.

Test this out before doing it with production mailboxes/user accounts!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Similar to Royals post, this ones a bit easier to read (at least for guys who are highlight crazy like me lol)... I have used this in the past and it works well.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/andersonpatricio/archive/2007/10/08/removing-disconnected-mailboxes-in-exchange-server-2007.aspx
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    DOH! Beat me to the PowerShell punch!
    Good luck to all!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Can't you just use Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click on the account, select Exchange Tasks, and then Delete Mailbox?

It's an available option in 2003, but I don't know if it works in 2007.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Claymoore wrote:
    Can't you just use Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click on the account, select Exchange Tasks, and then Delete Mailbox?

Thats was my thoughts as well and then you can let Exchange delete it on its own once it's clean up agent runs or you can manually purge it specifically if you need to save space on your store. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the original question was.
    Claymoore wrote:

ADUC isn't Exchange integrated anymore with E2K7.
    Good luck to all!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's very bad to do that to E2K7 mailboxes using ADUC
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Correct. As a general rule, use E2K3 tools to manage E2K3 mailboxes (ADUC + ESM), and use E2K7 tools to manage E2K7 mailboxes (EMC/EMS).
    Good luck to all!
  • dumontrdumontr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    w^rl0rd wrote: »
    Is there a way to force the disconnected mailboxes to delete without removing the associated AD user account?

From what I have read so far, the remove-mailbox cmdlet can be used but it also gets rid of the AD user account which we do not want.

go to stores right click on mailboxes and run clean up agent...then right click the stores and on the limit tab change the limits to 0 and then run the cleanup agent again it will remove the mail boxes
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that, at some point in the last 4.5 years, this situation was resolved.

I know I have learned a little bit about the Exchange management tools since then ;)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Pretty interesting to see how far you have come since then though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Priceless respawn.