Kali Linux Has Bee Released!

Kali Linux Has Been Released!

Wonder how much longer before this is included in the OSCP training?

Comments

• swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Downloading now! I just got out my Ubuntu laptop to install Backtrack 5 last weekend. Glad I got too involved in other projects and didn't get it installed.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is the just of it they've moved away from the Ubuntu platform?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Thanks, downloading now.
  • jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    Yes, Debian now and newer kernel.

From the website:

So, what’s the difference between BackTrack and Kali?” you might be asking. Unfortunately for us, that’s not a simple question to answer. It’s a mix between “everything” and “not much”, depending on how you used BackTrack.From an end user perspective, the most obvious change would be the switch to Debian and an FHS-compliant system. What this means is that instead of having to navigate through the /pentest tree, you will be able to call any tool from anywhere on the system as every application is included in the system path. However, there’s much hidden magic in that last sentence. I’ll quickly list some of the new benefits of this move

• da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Thanks for the heads up jasong318,

Just downloaded and installed it, so far I see what they mean “not much”, Its not as pretty as backtrack in other words striped down, but so far it looks to be very similar. I installed as a dual boot OS which I have only ever run backtrack as a VM. Going to start looking under the hood and really look at the granular differences.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So this is the successor of Backtrack! Nice I have downloaded the VMWARE and ISO versions!

Thanks for the heads up!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • aidroidaidroid Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't like the name as much :)
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the linkage. Glad to see they're keeping it fresh.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Rapid7's Metasploit Pro is fully integrated...just plug in the license and go. For those that haven't previously tried to get Metasploit Pro installed and working on Backtrack, this is a big deal. Well...for professional penetration testers anyways. Probably not many people that can afford a license for personal use.
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Anyone had luck getting Kali to load in a Server 2012 Hyper-V environment? The install keeps getting stuck at 1% of copying the files.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
    Why are you doing it like this? If you're doing a virtual machine you just boot off the iso and take a snapshot. If you want a bootable OS then install it.
    I am trying to install it. During the install when it starts copying files to install it stays stuck at 1%.
  • Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You might have a bad download. Did you check the SHA1SUM against your copy? I would try to download it again and then try to install it.
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
    Checksum was correct. I've used this same ISO and loaded it onto a USB stick and installed Kali on a desktop I have at my desk with no issues. For some reason I can't get it to load in Hyper-V on a 2012 server. I've toyed with changing some of the hardware but no luck.
    Try to boot off the iso (not install) and see that server 2012 lets you do that first. If it is reading the iso and loads no prob there is probably an installer issue that needs to be addressed by the Kali group (most likely a compatibility issue with 2012).

I get what you are trying to do I just dont undestand why (I'm not trying to be difficult, just think there is a better way).

I usually only install if I want that as my main OS otherwise I load via a VM as a bootable image and snapshot it.
    It boots as a Live CD with no issue so I agree that there is an installer issue the the Kali team will have to fix. I haven't tried taking a snapshot of the Live CD, will try that.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tried to use it yesterday and yesinia yesterday in the live cd and full installation and keep crashing (the GUI interface).
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ill give it a try. Thanks for posting
    impelse wrote: »
    I tried to use it yesterday and yesinia yesterday in the live cd and full installation and keep crashing (the GUI interface).

Can you give any more details? I'm not sure I fully understand what you were doing and at what point it failed. Before anything further could you verify a checksum of your file with the site?
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I open yersinia -G the GUI interface showed up and with some test, when I try to run an attack the GUI closed itself.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Does the command line remain open? I'm thinking from the limited testing I can do that the GUI just goes away but the program is still working (my CMD stays open and I can retrieve the logs).
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I did a video review that highlights some of the major differences, for anyone who is interested:
    Kali Linux - Backtrack Evolved - YouTube
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just watched the video, nice work J.
  • JasonP03JasonP03 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wonder how much longer before this is included in the OSCP training?

I was wondering the same thing... I think it will be a while since it's updated unfortunately.
    I did a video review that highlights some of the major differences, for anyone who is interested:

Awesome video, good job :D
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They gave an estimate of 6 months for course update.
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Great job on the video Hutch!
    I thought it was great video as well. I never do internet browser through the distros so I didn't even realize that they change the browser, guess i should pay more attention. I am one of those getting lazy with GUI's so this has been forcing me to get back in the game so to speak... Again great job Hutch.
  • Toney_1819Toney_1819 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question: Seen that Kali Linux is Debian-based, can I use it to study for the Linux+ exam?
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Don't. This is not a distro to learn linux. It is convenient for pen testing because it has the tools and you don't have to go through the trouble to set them up yourself. Being constantly in root is not a good idea. Try something like Ubuntu and CentOS.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    true, its not ideal. But that (root) is likely to happen anyway when learning linux, the argument is invalid. If he's on a home network, using the computer for training use only, its inconsequential.