Linux Networking Commands

QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have done a lot of research on this but I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on the basic Linux/Unix network commands one should keep up to date with. While doing simple linux task as work I want to someday be very strong at linux and networking. I think I have a good use of ifconfig, iwconfig and ethtool but if someone can provide me with some insight on what a really good linux person would know I can set some small goals to eventually reach that level. Thanks

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I currently work as a network security analyst and I use linux heavily at work. I have listed the common commands I use at work for troubleshooting network/firewall issues. Research them and try using them on your Linux machine.

ifconfig
    ethtool
    mii
    route
    arp
    tcpdump
    top/ps
    tail -F
    service *** test/reload/start
    ping
    uptime
    iptraf
    ngrep
    nc (netcat)
    traceroute
    hostname
    nslookup
    dig
    diff
    dmesg
    ip route get
    history
    netstat
    ifup/ifdown
  • QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Much thanks for this
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□

Dropbox link to the image.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s78xdn3jnhxfeg/linux-commands.png

Give this a shot... I can't take credit... not sure where I stumbled on this...

Nice as a desktop background.

Hatch
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very useful reference!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I posted this in the Linux+ group a while back. I have it as a background on my CentOs machine. Its CentOS, but actually acts as a head node for a Rocksclusters.org

I set it up a few weeks ago to test a few things. I used my Acer Netbook to pixie boot off the head node and load it software. I now have a powerful two node cluster with my Netbook as the only client.
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Great post for a reference!!! I was going to start pursuing my Linux+ cert soon.