Concepts prior to CEH

herborenherboren Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was hoping to get into CEH, what is the general knowledge I need to have in order to understand CEH correctly?

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would know the basics of networking, Windows OS, Linux, common protocols and how they work. I would aso go over the CEH exam objectives and see what you do or do not know.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would know the basics of networking, Windows OS, Linux, common protocols and how they work. I would aso go over the CEH exam objectives and see what you do or do not know.

^Exactly

In addition to this having a working knowledge of HTML,JS and C will pay dividends for the cert. Good luck bro!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For self-study I would definitely recommend Matt Walker's CEH. Do all the practical exercises and you can definitely pass. Google stuff on youtube /securitytube.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll second the Matt Walker book, that's really all you need to pass the test. Obviously if you want a deeper understanding of the concepts, you'll want to branch out. I used the CBT nuggets videos as well, which I feel didn't really add much overall. Mostly looking at the tools described in the Walker book and then running through test scenarios in my home lab is what really helped to get a lot of syntax down.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • sionsion Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Learn to use nmap and understand how it works ;) I can't stress enough to have the basics of TCP/IP down. Check out TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1, by R. Stevens. It will be boring as heck at times, but you need to understand the essentials. TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 1: The Protocols (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series): W. Richard Stevens: 9780201633467: Amazon.com: Books
  • agcls2309agcls2309 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would also study hping3 as it is usually an alternative to nmap and has several functionalities that may become useful on the test