2610 encapsulation question

Frank.cFrank.c Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently working on ICND2 and bought a CCNA lab kit consisting of three 2610 routers and two 2950 Switches. They seem to be just what I need except for one problem, the routers didn't seem to support dot1q encapsulation.

I found this link (see below) in another thread that says dot1q is now supported beginning with 12.2(2)T and later IOS. However, I've loaded several of those updates all the way up to the very latest Enterprise Plus and the encapsulation command is non-existent in all of them. I figure that dot1q must be achieved in a manner I am unfamiliar with then. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

802.1Q Encapsulation Support on Cisco 2600/3600 Series Routers  [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems

Comments

• rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On switches prior to 3560, there is only dot1q encapsulation which is enabled by default on trunk port. Nevertheless, on routers, it should enabled on subinterface by encapsulation command.

Can anyone confirm or oppose pls?
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe that the 2610 only has 10 meg ports and those port don't support dot1q encapsulation. So no vlan trunking with a single port. If you pickup a fastethernet card that should get you going.
  • Frank.cFrank.c Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DCD wrote: »
    I believe that the 2610 only has 10 meg ports and those port don't support dot1q encapsulation. So no vlan trunking with a single port. If you pickup a fastethernet card that should get you going.

This was true prior to IOS 12.2(2)T (see link in OP). rscrt may have the right of it about encapsulation being enabled on subinterfaces as I've only tried to apply it directly to the Interface E0/0 itself.

I'll give this a try Monday morning and report back.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fairly confident I've used my 2610s with a ROAS configuration.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    Ok, I've been able to confirm that encapsulation does indeed work on subinterfaces. It offers both dot1q and sde. For reference I am currently using IOS c2600-js-mz.122-34a.bin

Thanks again for all the help with this!
    So why didn't it work the first time and what did you change?
    DCD wrote: »
    So why didn't it work the first time and what did you change?

As I mentioned previously, I had initially attempted to use encapsulation directly on the E0/0 10 Base-T interface. Fortunately, rscrt pointed out that he believed it should work fine on subinterfaces, and that is in fact the case.
    Hey Frank thanks for the answer. My fault that I couldn't read the lines saying you were not on the sub-interface I was thinking that where you were on the sub-interface configuration prompt.
    Not a problem. I am learning as I go, but that should have occured to me. I couldn't be more happy at the responses I got here and at how fast my issue got a resolution.
  • TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cisco 3524's support ISL - after 3560 are dot1q only IE 2960G

this can be verified by going into the interface level and just doing a switchport trunk encap ?