Curious about a lab setup for ccent/ccna

turner.rookturner.rook Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, just had a quick question. I know a lot of you suggest lab sims, but I am pretty dead set on putting together a home lab for studing and I already have the cash in hand. I will be working on my ccent/ccna and I want this equipment to roll over into the ccnp. So, my question to you all, is my setup solid for covering all the content and study that I will need and is it up to date in terms of hardware. I think it is pretty on point, but I figured I would ask prior just to make sure before dropping the cash. Any thought about tweaks I should make or just any input is welcomed and appreciated.

This is the build I will be purchasing -

2x 3640 or 3620 Router
1x 2611XM Router
2x WS-C2950-24 Switch
1x WS-C3548-XL-EN
1x NM-4A/S
2x WIC-1T
2x NM-2E2W
1x Console Cable
3x CAT5 Straight Through Ethernet Cables
1x CAT5 Crossover Ethernet Cables
6x Power Cables
2x DB60 DTE/DCE M/M Cable

Thanks again in advance

Comments

• jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Other than the lack of an ability to load an IOS image capable of SSH on the 3640, it looks like a decent setup. Check out some of the other threads on this board about lab suggestions to get a better idea. If you can swing it (not sure what your budget is with this) I would swap the 3600 series routers for some more 2600XM models (2620XM is my personal fave but that's me.) Also make sure that the switches you get are the 2950T models, as they support the newest (for 2950s) image and features. You may want to **** the 3548 as well and go with either a third 2950T or a 3550 if you really want to be able to carry through to CCNP.

That's just an initial look though, I suggest checking all the models against Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems to ensure that they support all the features you'll need for each learning track.
  • turner.rookturner.rook Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply and recommendations. Is the 2950t really going to be that much better than the 2950c, I thought they both ran the latest image? I am buying a kit, so I looked around in my price range a bit more and this is the best I can do with my cash (Ill post the new kit build at the bottom). I can't really wait to look for deals on ebay because I have limited free time to slam out my studies for the ccent/ccna. Keep in mind this is all kinda new to me.

This is the new kit - Price is $599.00

1x CISCO2611XM Series Router 128DRAM/48Flash with CallManager Express 4.1 latest 12.4 IOS installed
    We upgraded 2610XM with 1xFast Ethernet Port to 2611XM with 2x Fast Ethernet Ports (The Routers on the pictures are 2610XM, You will get 2611XM with 2x Fast Ethernet Ports )
    2x CISCO2611XM Series Router 128DRAM/32Flash latest 12.4 IOS installed
    We upgraded 2610XM with 1xFast Ethernet Port to 2611XM with 2x Fast Ethernet Ports (The Routers on the pictures are 2610XM, You will get 2611XM with 2x Fast Ethernet Ports )
    2x WS-C2950-24 Advanced IOS 24 Port 10/100 Switch
    1x WS-C3550-24-SMI Layer 3 Switch with latest Enhanced EMI Image, Multi Layer IP 24 Port 10/100
    3x WIC-2T Smart Serial Interface Module Card
    3x Serial Connection Cable for WIC-2Ts
    1x Console Cable
    3x Ethernet Cable
    2x Crossover Cable
    6x Power Cable
  • mikesprangermikespranger Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SKIP THE KIT!
    if you've got the time to wait, just keep an eye on ebay and get it all for way less.
    buy one 2611xm with 12.4 and buy 2 for less with an older image, then you get to practice updating the images.
    the 2950's you can get for like $50 for both with shipping if you shop around.
    you'll save 100-200 dollars easy. thats enough to get the boson practice tests, or you can grab a crimper and tester to make your own crossover cables.
    plus the c is before the 2950- so you aren't even getting 2950c's
    those are plain old 2950's, which won't have the enhanced image (note it says "advanced image")
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    3640s support ssh just fine and they are plenty capable for even ccnp and higher , support 12.4
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    Thank you for all the replies and information guys. I really don't have a lot of time to wait around on ebay looking for the perfect buys, although I would enjoy saving the cash and will take a look at what is available now. As for just getting through my ccent/ccna and disregarding ccnp as of right now, should the equipment that I posted be more than enough for that? Outside of needing to upgrade the switches to 2950t's for the enhanced image? Once again, appreciate the responses and feedback. Keep in mind, I have about 600 bucks for my budget and would like to squeeze the most out of my cash as I can.
    there's no problem with the equipment listed, it's just the price. i have 1760 routers, but people do seem to love the 2611xm's. the 2950 is what just about everyone gets for switches. i have 5 2950c's. not sure about the difference between c and t, but the t's are more expensive so they must do a little more. the c's have been fine for me so far.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I have 3 of each (2950s), the T versions have 2 gigabit uplink ports. But these really don't matter for labbing.

You can get 2-3 2950s (even 12 ports) and 2-3 26xx series routers and you'll be just fine with that. Plus WIC-1T or WIC-2T cards and matching cables.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    Thanks again. I have a pretty clear picture now of everything I need to get and what I don't need to get. Although, reading the forums about the changes coming to ccna, is it even worth it to get the above mentioned equipment now? Or will it all just be useless when they update next week?
  • TheMontuTheMontu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks again. I have a pretty clear picture now of everything I need to get and what I don't need to get. Although, reading the forums about the changes coming to ccna, is it even worth it to get the above mentioned equipment now? Or will it all just be useless when they update next week?

hah! exactly my same question which is how I found your thread.