NEW CCNA Exams Announced!!

todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Cisco probably inadvertantly put on the CLN network last night that the new
CCNA tests start March 26th and the current tests expire September 30th! (see attachment)....

If you're studying, you need to get with it!
The new ICND2 test number went from 640-816 to 200-101....weird.

I've heard that the CCNA will no longer be a pre-req for any other cert track! That's disapointing!
however, they are set to announce this all on March 26th...seems to me that since the current tests will expire in September that Cisco Press, etc already has their new books and material ready to go. We'll see!

Of course I'll start my new books right away!

What do you think that the new CCNA will no longer be a pre-req to getting Voice, Data Center, Security, etc???

Todd Lammle
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems quite rushed for September to be the last time you can attempt the ICDN tests? Not to happy with Cisco right now, I am in the process of buying books to start my way into Cisco. Lucky me I didn't buy books yet, I would be out money if I couldn't complete by September of this year.

Todd, I haven't seen any books out yet for the new tests. Do you have one ready or do you just add content to the older one?
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I wouldn't be too worried about it. From exam to exam, some things change but the majority of the core concepts stay the same. Things have to change on these exams from time to time in order from them to remain relevant to the industry. 10 years ago, VoIP wasn't really as relevant as it is now in business so it didn't make a lot of sense to include it in the CCNA-level exams. Nowadays, most network engineer jobs require you to have some core VoIP knowledge about things like AutoQoS, CUCM, etc. If the CCNA went into security and voice when I took it, it would have saved me from a very sharp learning curve.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow thats interesting. I always have had my own views on their tests. I guess I will have to regroup. I think as technology changes they need to adjust because there are so many different areas and specialties people want to go into. For example I have a Nortel Telecom background and would love to just work with Cisco IP phones but you have to get CCNA first. I think you should go straight to CCNA Voice. Why cant Cisco just include some basic stuff from CCNA into all those specialty CCNA test. Maybe its a money thing but I just think they should cut down on so many test and beef up certain test with more info relating to that special technology whether than having so many test. Just my opinion.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I guess that is the motivation I need. I better dust off the old 2950's and 2651xm's.
    WGU grad
    I totally understand the change, I just question the timing and not pushing the deadline till Dec of 2013. Not a huge deal for me since I am just now starting to look at studying for CCNA. Again I haven't seen the new books so worry about study materials and what is best to use.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

• HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco probably inadvertantly put on the CLN network last night that the new
    CCNA tests start March 26th and the current tests expire September 30th! (see attachment)....

If you're studying, you need to get with it!
    The new ICND2 test number went from 640-816 to 200-101....weird.

I've heard that the CCNA will no longer be a pre-req for any other cert track! That's disapointing!
    however, they are set to announce this all on March 26th...seems to me that since the current tests will expire in September that Cisco Press, etc already has their new books and material ready to go. We'll see!

Of course I'll start my new books right away!

What do you think that the new CCNA will no longer be a pre-req to getting Voice, Data Center, Security, etc???

Todd Lammle

There is no mention of the 640-802... does this stay the same?
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The test numbers will change on ICND1, ICND2 and CCNA next week. I am not sure how this ICND2 got leaked, but it's just a week early.
    They really upset me with this because not only did they rush this, they are making the CCNA a seperate cert now, which means it is not needed for any cert accept CCNP R/S.
    They are adding more IPv6, advanced EIGRP, Multi-area OSPF and VPN's...(hopfully removing Frame Relay, right??) :)
    We'll all find out more on 3/26 when they release the course, materials, and exams.
    I am putting my outlines together and new lab layout this week, but I won't have a full Table of Contents or release date until I know exactly what they are releasing.

QUESTION: Will you still take the CCNA if you don't have to and just go for Wireless, Voice, Security? I feel like Cisco is ruining the cert like microsoft did to the MCSE. I am very curious to what others think about this all-so-important topic!
    Todd,

I am pretty new to Cisco, and don't really know the difference right now. As of now I am still gearing up for CCENT then CCNA, if that will be a option later this year. It only makes since for me to go with the new tests moving forward, I guess? lol Man I hate being a Noob in this whole mess right now.

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    QUESTION: Will you still take the CCNA if you don't have to and just go for Wireless, Voice, Security? I feel like Cisco is ruining the cert like microsoft did to the MCSE. I am very curious to what others think about this all-so-important topic!

Wouldn't you WANT to learn CCNA topics before delving into Wireless or Security?
    Wouldn't one be not as effective in their field?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Learning does not equal certification. If I planned on going for the Voice or Wireless track I'd probably skip the CCNA if it wasn't a pre-req.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, because I'm aiming to CCNA Sec, the whole CCNA thing seems like a wasted time for me right now.. But the change makes sense. Imagine CCNP R/S being prerequisite for CCNP Sec, for instance.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Next Question, Is there a new CCENT exam? Or will I be fine taking the current CCENT and then the NEW CCNA exam?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with learning the Cisco topic but I just think maybe they could include some basic stuff in the study material for the specific paths. For example I like Voice, so why not just include some CCNA basic material in the CCNA voice track, why does it HAVE to be a whole test just for CCNA when people want to do down a specific path. I think you could still learn those things that way, just my opinion, I am currently preparing for ICND1 but I have a lot of job leads that are trying to help me get jobs with VOIP and everthing is Cisco IP telephony right now as opposed to the Nortel Telecom systems I used to program for years. Man I would love to have CCNA voice right now.
  • lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The test numbers will change on ICND1, ICND2 and CCNA next week. I am not sure how this ICND2 got leaked, but it's just a week early.
    They really upset me with this because not only did they rush this, they are making the CCNA a seperate cert now, which means it is not needed for any cert accept CCNP R/S.
    They are adding more IPv6, advanced EIGRP, Multi-area OSPF and VPN's...(hopfully removing Frame Relay, right??) :)
    We'll all find out more on 3/26 when they release the course, materials, and exams.
    I am putting my outlines together and new lab layout this week, but I won't have a full Table of Contents or release date until I know exactly what they are releasing.

I agree
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So this means if I have my ICND1 I have time until September to do my ICND2?
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
    I am sure you can take the new ICND2 starting next week, but why? Take the current ICND2 before September and you're golden.
    Todd Lammle
    I just had another thought.
    Since these new exams are all based on the 15.x IOS code, this means they need to update/upgrade the Packet Tracer! I would think so!
    If you are buying gear for a home lab - STOP! Make sure you get the right gear now before you buy.
    Todd Lammle
    I am sure you can take the new ICND2 starting next week, but why? Take the current ICND2 before September and you're golden.
    Todd Lammle

Your saying that if I'm CCENT certified, I have time until this September to still do the old ICND2 exam?

Oh and I always thought CCNA sec (for example) builds up on CCNA. Security is my goal too, and I can't see how one can be a good network security guy without knowing the content of which is part of the CCNA...
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    I purchased the Wendell Odom ICND1 & ICND2 books from CISCO press. Are those books now useless ? or they are sufficient?
    Plz tell me should i have to purchase new books for CCENT & ICND2?
    ch1vas wrote: »
    Your saying that if I'm CCENT certified, I have time until this September to still do the old ICND2 exam?

Oh and I always thought CCNA sec (for example) builds up on CCNA. Security is my goal too, and I can't see how one can be a good network security guy without knowing the content of which is part of the CCNA...

Yea, right?? Well Cisco is saying you don't have to know R/S if you want to go into Security now! No, I don't like this, but then they do not ask for my thoughts on the matter.
    Todd
    p1xels wrote: »
    Hi
    I purchased the Wendell Odom ICND1 & ICND2 books from CISCO press. Are those books now useless ? or they are sufficient?
    Plz tell me should i have to purchase new books for CCENT & ICND2?

From Cisco's announcment: you have until September to take the current exams. I am sure they will be glad to sell you their new books when they come out next week for the new exams, but if you finish your current exams by September, you'll be fine.
    Todd,

Good point on taking the older version, but I like to stay current with certs. Am I right by thinking that being current is good, rather then having a old CCNA?

• rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, right?? Well Cisco is saying you don't have to know R/S if you want to go into Security now! No, I don't like this, but then they do not ask for my thoughts on the matter.
    Todd

So, the CCNA Sec is not gonna change? I thought they will include required R/S matters in there.. Anyways, Todd, I read your CCNA review guide after finishing CCNA Exploartion 1-4 at local Cisco academy. It really did help! Great book, thanks.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Todd Lammle! Wow, incredible seeing you on this forum. I recently started my CCENT journey and am using your book. Great material and I like your writing style, keep it up! I just need to practice my subnetting to get faster at it and I'll be ready for ICND1. It is nice to see we have until Sept to take the old exams.
    bub9001 wrote: »
    Todd,

Good point on taking the older version, but I like to stay current with certs. Am I right by thinking that being current is good, rather then having a old CCNA?

I'm not an expert but I'd say it doesn't really matter as long has you are CCNA certified.
  • jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    I got my ICND 2 scheduled next week so I hope I pass it so I can move on to other topics. I agree that CCNA should be required before moving into voice or security. Do they plan on making changes to the voice and security exams as well or just the CCNA for now?
    I still can't believe that CCNA isn't required anymore for security. I'm not an expert at all, just started my networking career, but in my opinion someone who knows the in and outs of routing/switching could break in to networks way more often than someone who doesn't know the in and outs of routing/switching. And isn't a network security breach, what a security guy should be able to prevent and/or detect?

Anyhow, we have to live with it.
  • jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    Maybe with the announcement next week they will shed more light on the Voice, Wireless, and Security test. I believe the foundation given on the CCNA is essential to be successful. So are the titles going to change also? wouldn't seem right to have CCNA Voice when the candidate didn't do CCNA at all. Maybe just Cisco Voice Certified now?
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    This would make the most sense to me. Have Cisco Security, CCNA Security, CCNP Security etc
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Todd Lammle!!!!! I am really impressed :)
    However I am confused too as I just passed my ICND1 exam last to last month Do I have to retake it before taking the ICND2 exam to be a CCNA?If not do i have to buy new books for studying ICND2 exam for CCNA?