News of CCNA not required just killed my motivation. Any Advice?

ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey!

I knew from the beginning that I want to go the security path. I just passed my ICND1 and was/am studying for the ICND2 now.
Although I believe that a solid foundation (CCNA) is important, I somehow lost a chunk of motivation and even worse now during studying I always have the thought "I could do the security exam without CCNA!". I love security and couldn't wait to finally get my CCNA to move on to the CCNA security. And now that CCNA isn't required anymore (is there an official source?) it suddenly came many months closer as I could start right away.

Any advice?
What would you do?

Cheers!
Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )

Comments

• JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Finish it, trust me you will be glad you did.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Finish the CCNA. Assuming you have a limited amount of IT experience a good networking foundation will open many more doors than an entry level security cert.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You've already completed half of it. Why cut yourself short?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just stay on your path until we get the official word from Cisco. Nothing but a rumor at this point.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. Still no official word from Cisco

2. The new CCNA: Security exam does in fact ask questions directly related to R/S. Even if Cisco removes the CCNA prerequisite from the CCNA Sec path, you will most likely still be asked to have CCNA-level knowledge going in.

3. If/when you enter a network security role, you will be working directly with the R/S engineers. It will be a great benefit to have a high-level view of routing and switching as well as knowing which buttons to push if you want to get something done yourself.
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The proposed changed could be more for streamlining training for engineers and techs with larger corps who need to learn and certify in specialized areas. Lets say you're working in a NOC for 2-4 years and have a new product out, a series of security products and your company needs to purchase thousands of ASA's (why not?) as port of that initiative, licensing, etc.

Why not get better status, deals and paste those shiney logo's on your site or porfolio for CCNA/P/ etc. Security proffesionals faster, if your NOC guys are already doing R/S and don't have the time or means to go after CCNA first?

Just a thought.
    :twisted:
  • jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    keep on trucking man, you already came this far and you have learned so much. Just remember this is the world of IT and it will always be changing even with the exams. The time you spent studying will not go to waste trust me.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with the rest. If you want to do networking, your studies are teaching you something you need and want to know so why stop now? I understand you might be anxious, but it's not like you will waste your time by getting your CCNA. Now, if you were studying Modern Dance, and you just heard this news. Then I'd say yea, maybe put that on hold while you pursue Security.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    The CCNA or at least ICND1 should remain a prereq for any Associate level specialty exam. Stupid move on Cisco's part to change it. There are so many basic fundamentals in the CCNA like OSI Layer, TCP/IP, Subnetting, etc that are relevant to any track you choose. Do you need to know how to configure OSPF to do security or voice? Absolutely not. Those parts of the CCNA are just necessary evils if you're not continuing on to CCNP Route/Switch.

My advice would be to finish your CCNA. It's really not that difficult if you study and lab properly.
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.
    You are a great help once again! Sometimes all it takes is some good words and reason!
    I guess I'll finish CCNA.
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that the CCNA should be required. It's important!
    Don't quit what you are doing! Finish the CCNA and build a strong foundation!
    Todd
  • traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If words of encouragement from TODD LAMMLE won't get you motivated, then I don't know what else will :)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Finish it!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree! Regardless of what Cisco requires at this point, CCNA shoudl be our first goal! GO for CCNA!! :)
  • amcloneamclone Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Put on your Nike's and "Just Do It"!!!!
    Working on CCNP Switch.
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all!

I'm up an running again. Aiming for the CCNA in May!

Cheers!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Finish the fight!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63