To frame or not to frame your certificates, that is the question.

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
What are the views you guys have on hanging/mounting the certificates you earn on a wall at home, at work? I like looking over at my Bachelors from time to time, reminds me of the work that was put in to get it.
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Im all for it, yyou worked hard for those peices of paper, you might as well proudlyt display them. :) Iv got all my Comptia and MTAs on the wal in my office right above the light switch.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I honestly don't hang anything up because people don't understand what I've been through to get the certifications. If I don't share my struggles with people then I don't show the successful results with them. Plus I like to keep to myself. I don't usually show or talk about what I've done because sometimes I feel like I'm bragging.

Anyways, if you think it would be cool to hang up your certification and/or achievements then go for it :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have my Bachelors and MCITP framed but sitting in a box right now until I move (sometime near future) and have a spare room for an office.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do a search through the forums for some more opinions. This has been discussed many times.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I honestly don't hang anything up because people don't understand what I've been through to get the certifications. If I don't share my struggles with people then I don't show the successful results with them. Plus I like to keep to myself. I don't usually show or talk about what I've done because sometimes I feel like I'm bragging.

Anyways, if you think it would be cool to hang up your certification and/or achievements then go for it :)

I've been thinking about displaying my certs in my office desk area but haven't decided either way yet maybe after my CCNA. I'm conflicted with hanging more gaming posters!! icon_lol.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I paid for the fancy wood framing for my CISSP but never hung it anywhere. I might frame non-entry level carts like a CCNP or CCIE but I probably would not hang it at work. Maybe a home office.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Doctors hang their achievements why IT professionals shouldnt? I personally have my A+ and my MCSE 2003 in my office. When I finish my masters I will replace my A+ and then when I get the new MCSE 2012 I will replace my old MCSE.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    I have them stored in a filing cabinet. I might hang my CCNP when I finish building my home office.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for hanging

If anything it's a great motivation to have these on your wall, wear them proudly like scouts wear their badges or how doctors hang their certificates. I would not hang them at work unless you have copies made and are happy to loose them (people can be dickheads).
  • BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only have one as of right now
    My wife framed it and put it next to her cooking awards LOL
    Maybe as I earn more it wont be such a big deal
    Right now I am tickled pink to have one so we are showing it off
  • dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For now I actually bought a 8.5x11 art portfolio book and have the awards in the pages. This way I can look at them and add to the collection as I get certs.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did back in the day when I needed motivation to keep studying. Eventually I put them all in a binder for safekeeping in the closet.

I am thinking of framing my CISSP and GIAC cert especially the GIAC since it already comes mounted on wood so I can just hang it.
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have my A+ (from 1996) certificate hanging in my office at home. I will definitely be making copies and hanging my certifications up at work as I receive more of them. I am proud of my accomplishments and see nothing wrong with sharing them with everyone else.

Gene
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have all my VMware certs stacked in a nice 8.5" x 11" frame at home. Problem is which cert do I display? DCD or DCA.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    maybe at home...
    but I personally wouldnt do it at the office.
    i leave my degree in my drawer...
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    I have all my VMware certs stacked in a nice 8.5" x 11" frame at home. Problem is which cert do I display? DCD or DCA.

Your VMware certs should look great. You should display both icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    BS framed above my bed at home and a few printouts of certs pinned to my cube walls...chasin paper icon_cool.gif
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    All in a file cabinet.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I was going to frame it, but it's still sitting in the cover. icon_lol.gif
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have mine all framed in cheap frames and hung in my home office. Its really only for me to look at and remind myself how much I had to study to pass the exams.
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    +1 for hanging. Need more wall space...
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to frame my highest cert (i.e. MCSA was replaced by MCSE, CCNA was replaced by CCNP, etc) for each item but its just gotten too cumbersome that most of mine dont get framed anymore. Plus some of the new certs are just downright ugly (the burnt orange of the MCITP SA/EA certs has no place on my wall).

I now reserve space on my wall for 6 items (in no particular order):
    1. My Eagle scout award
    2. My bachelor's
    3. Eventually my Master's (when I get it)
    4. my CISSP
    5. my MCSE (my first cert)
    6. The certificate most relevant to my current job (currently my CCNP Security)

If I ever get a CCIE or other high level cert, it may become a permanent fixture on my wall (or it may be cause for me to decide to take down all the ones I have now) but for now those are the ones that get hung and the myriad of other certificates have just gone in a file folder in a lock box and pretty much never see the light of day.

Also, I dont hang them up at work as that just seems pretentious to me at times, especially when you work for an IT company where everyone has some certifications. Instead they're hung up in my office at home. If I ever leave the technical field for management, I may hang them up in my work office then just as a reminder to myself and others that I trace my roots back to the technical-side but I dont have any immediate plans to leave for management so that may be quite a ways away.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have mine (5) framed and hung, but only inside my cubicle. I bought a cheap 6 pack of frames at Walmart for them. If I ever get started on/complete a WGU bachelors program in the next few years, I'll put in a better looking one of course.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    Steve what's your next certification going to be?

I ended up hanging RMP and CAPM. I had two frames laying around. :)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work for a small company so there's a lot of pressure on everyone to keep up with their certs for our partnership statuses. Everyone hangs everything simply for the constant reminder.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ill usually make a copy and hang 1 or 2 in my cube at work. I also like to make a copy of all my certs and hang them in my home office. The original copies go in sleeves and into a binder.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see no problem hanging your degree or highest level certificates.
    Let others know you are professional and certified.
    especially if others, accountants, managers, etc are displaying theirs.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I have copies of my NT 4 MCSE (my first cert unless you count the MCPs that comprise it), my two MCITPs and CCNA: Security on the wall at my office, but I haven't done anything with my CompTIAs, CIWs, SonicWall (now expired) or any of the miscellaneous ones.

My general thought is to have the highest level of any given track displayed, the others are implied. As the head IT guy where I work I intend them more as a way to inspire the other IT people to get certs than to brag about what I have done. It also looks good for the non-IT people, it gives a sense of... well, I suppose it is to help reassure them that I know what I am doing. Of course, my actions are more important than pieces of paper for that.

All my originals are in a binder and most of the copies will probably go away if I move into another job with more IT people that are at or above my level.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a "Wall of Achievement" going and it has gotten impressive. It is for me though and not for anyone else, or for anyone to feel intimidated by.
    @DeathGomper

How does your wall hold up that heavy CCNP? :)