Best Career Option

Need your opinion on this:

I am currently working toward my A+ and Network + but before this I apply for a job in a Manufacturing Company(for AUTO PARTS) as Manufacturing Associates the company is well known for good salary and benefits. To cut the story short while waiting for employment I decided to go into IT field since that company gives no assurance for employment after they provided you schooling for 2 months as Mfg. Associates. I already spend certain amount of money for my A+,Network+ training since i love doing this kind of job. And now the company wrote me a letter if im still interested with them. Which you do you think is the better option careerwise and salary since I know if your starting in an entry level IT the salary is not good compare to what that Mfg. Company offer to there associates. thanks for your feedback. I am a little bit unsure coz I already got a family to take care of. Im only looking for a stable and long term career.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you in the US? With the current state of GM, I would be looking into IT, but that is just my opinion. the IT job market seems to be recovering.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Yes I am in the US actually here in south carolina..
  • jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With the current state of GM, I would be looking into IT, but that is just my opinion.

Not every automobile manufacturing facility in the US is GM. Where I live, there are 3 Honda manufacturing plants within a 100 mile radius, and a Toyota plant further to the south.

As for the original question, what do you enjoy more? IT work or your manufacturing work? Choose the career that will allow you to support a family and the one that you enjoy.
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    I do really enjoy more on IT field coz its more challenging actually theres a company here who hire A+ technician to fix Printer and Copier and most of the time in the field work. Would that be also a big plus of experience? when it comes to IT fields. By the way the mfg company i was referring about is Robert Bosch i think the starting salary they offer is $16.00/hr and the one for the Printer and Copier technician is $12.00 what do you think? with all the pros and cons
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jaeusm wrote:
    With the current state of GM, I would be looking into IT, but that is just my opinion.

Not every automobile manufacturing facility in the US is GM. Where I live, there are 3 Honda manufacturing plants within a 100 mile radius, and a Toyota plant further to the south.

Currenlty, GM is having issues with the high cost of labor. This is similar to what happened with the airlines a few years ago, and we saw those fall like dominos one after the other. I wonder if the same thing will happen to the auto industry in this country and how it might affect parts suppliers and foreign manufactures in with plants here.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    jaeusm wrote:

Currenlty, GM is having issues with the high cost of labor. This is similar to what happened with the airlines a few years ago, and we saw those fall like dominos one after the other. I wonder if the same thing will happen to the auto industry in this country and how it might affect parts suppliers and foreign manufactures in with plants here.
    That could happen. The way outsourcing has grown in scope over the past decade, it would not surpise me in the least.

Robert Bosch in SC likely supplies components to the nearby BMW plant as well as the Daimler-Benz facility in Alabama. The firm is an old, established German auto electric components supplier. Similar to an autonomous version of DELCO. But from my understanding, Bosch also has operations in Mexico and South America, in addition to the Pacific Rim.

My recommendation would be to closely examine the benefits offered by Bosch. Chances are they offer health, dental, 401K and, more importantly (to me), tuition assistance. Furthermore, I'd say that Bosch has integrated a relatively efficient level of automation into their manufacturing processes. Lots of interesting possiblities and career enhancing experiences could be in store there.

Personally, I'd take the Bosch position and continue my education. As the old saying goes, "get your foot in the door".