basic trouble shooting tips for win 2003 server

sjh2006sjh2006 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

Does anyone have any basic trouble shooting tips for win 2003 server

I have a 2nd interview, which involves a lab test, which comprises setting up win 2003 server with active directory / domain controllers / networking pc`s together

I several years pc experience but no win 2003 experience.

Thanks

Comments

• vexvex Member Posts: 113
    So you BS'd your way this far and now they are calling your bluff?
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    The installation of Win 2003 Server is easy. Just put in the cd and reboot just like you do XP. Then do dcpromo. Then create computer accounts in active directory users and computer so you can join the clients to the domain.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    VEX - you have been pretty hard on people lately, take it easy. LOL LOL J/K :o)~~~~~~
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • texasmcdsttexasmcdst Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This shows you how to setup the first domain controller in a new domain, tree, and forrest. It also prompts you to install DNS. Other step by step papers can be viewed at Microsoft as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/domcntrl.mspx

Hope this help,

texasmcdst
    Paul P
    NRH, TX
  • zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    You don't need much hardware. Just 2 pcs which meet requirements, Windows Server 2003 and XP (or Windows Server 2003 as a member server or workstation), and a hub. Install Server 2003 on one pc like you would xp and startup the os. Then follow the link provided above to manage your server and connect client pc. Setting up a server and client pc is relatively easy, but troublshooting it is another. G-luck
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • vexvex Member Posts: 113
    jescab wrote:
    VEX - you have been pretty hard on people lately, take it easy. LOL LOL J/K :o)~~~~~~

Sorry if you think I am being hard on people. Just calling it as I see it. It seems we have a bunch of hypocrites on this forum. Nobody here condones cheating on a exam...This is the same thing!

What sjh2006 is asking for is a "braindump" for his interview.

I apologize for being "hard on people".

Cheers :D
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
  • sjh2006sjh2006 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help.

No i am not after a brain ****, i work as a cisco hardware engineer, and as i said ive worked with pc`s, and networked them together thats fairly straightforward.

Its just a lack of win 2003 setup experience i dont have.

The jobs for IT / Helpdesk support, some training provided, but i need to get through the lab test first.

If it was just networking a couple of pc`s on xp no probs, but its not its win 2003 server with domain controllers etc.