Almost ready - SSCP

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So after studying out of the SSCP All in One book for a while, I feel that I'm almost ready to take this test. I think the main thing that's going to get me is how long the actual test is.

A lot of the information is basically review from the Security+ and the classes that I've taken. So it's been easier to understand things. But there are a few things that I'm having a tough to remember such as the Evaluation Assurance Levels, SDLC and PCI stuff.

I might pick up this book Amazon.com: The Official (ISC)2 SSCP Review Seminar Student Manual v10 (9781449637347): (ISC)2: Books to help me out some more.

I think I might attempt the test in late April or the middle of May.

Does anyone have any advice for the exam??
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Hi James...Darril Gibsons AIO book is the most useful resource I used when I studied and sat for the SSCP exam. It has all the information you require to understand the concepts and pass the exam. I would urge you to bring forward your exam date, maybe mid April or the latest, late April because you have already gone over the material. You appear to have a solid background for this cert, that is my opinion. However do not underestimate this cert, ISC2 has a different way of asking questions as compared to other vendors.

I would also recommend getting onto those practise tests now, you need to start doing a lot of practise tests to gauge your knowledge. The exam isn't that long, well if you compare it to the CISSP icon_wink.gif, besides once you get started with the exam, time will go really fast so the duration shouldn't put you off.

As for Evaluation Assurance Levels, SDLC and PCI stuff, go over the material a few times and do the questions at the end of the chapter. If you are still having trouble, try google and see if there is anything else out there that may be explained better for you, but I found the AIO adequate. If you have any CISSP material, might be worth going over those topics only, however the CISSP material is way too in depth for this, only if you are really struggling and need that deeper understanding. I did not use the Review Siminar that you are contemplating on purchasing so I cannot comment on it.

All the best and let me know if you need any additional assistance.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey moyondizvo, thanks!

My main concern is the questions. I've been trying to find out what the questions are like but I haven't had that much success.
    I was thinking about buying the CISSP boxset to help me out but since it's indepth on some of the material, I don't want to get confused on things that I already know.

Thanks for the input and I'll let you know if I have any more questions. The reason why I pushed the SSCP date back is because I have to take the CCENT again before May.

I'll be at the "associate" status but I figure it'll be easier to do it now instead of when I'm working.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Probably the most accurate representation of the actual SSCP and CISSP exam items is in the studISCope self-assessment exams available from the (ISC)2.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks JDMurray,

I hope I don't die while trying to take these practice tests. Looks like they'll set me back a little though.
    Booya!!
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Yes they are going to set you back a little but they give you the most accurate representation of the exam. When considering purchasing them, it all depends on what exactly you want to achieve, if it is purely just to have a feel of the way ISC2 words their questions, just purchase 1 set. 1 set coupled with Darril's book should give you a good chance to successfully tackle the exam. And if after one set you feel you are getting the value for your money, you can buy the other two sets.

All the best with your CCENT, don't stay away for too long from your SSCP material.