Studying for ICND2

ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm just got my CCENT (about 1 week ago) and am now studying for the ICND2. I need to ask you something as I'm getting a bit worried.

So far I have watched Jeremy's videos and am going through the official exam guide.

I can't help it, but I keep skipping many pages in the book as I already know most of the material covered in it. I'm kind a worried now. Is it really that much easier to study for ICND2?

I didn't have a break between ICND1 and my current studies and it seems like lots of material in the ICND2 book was already covered in the ICND1 book. For example, I skipped the complete "Troubleshooting Switches" section because after reading the first 10 pages of the chapter I was like "wtf, if I wouldn't know this already, I'd have never passed ICND1 in first place".
Same with the Routing chapter, it just seems like all the material taught by Jeremy sticks in my mind like glue. It's just so easy to grasp things like STP or subinterfaces, VlANS, trunking etc. after having a good understanding of the ICND1 material.

How could I describe it a bit simpler.... It feels like I've learned to drive an old car, and am now learning to drive a new car with more features.

Did you feel the same when studied for the ICND2?

It just doesn't feel right to skip that much pages.
Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )

Comments

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I have heard that the ICND 2 is actually easier. However,I think it's just tough to build a solid networking knowledge foundation with no networking or IT experience at all. Once you get the ball rolling you just build upon that knowledge which makes it seem easier.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    krjay wrote: »
    I have heard that the ICND 2 is actually easier. However,I think it's just tough to build a solid networking knowledge foundation with no networking or IT experience at all. Once you get the ball rolling you just build upon that knowledge which makes it seem easier.

I do have more than a decade IT experience though. Not networking but Systems and Support.
    I just started to get worried that I might be missing something, as studying for the ICND2 really goes a lot smoother than studying for the ICND1 was.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Topics in ICND2 are totally different.

In 1 you hardly cover VLANs, trunking, STP isn't mentioned, same with OSPF and EIGRP, ACLs, NAT CLI config.. So no, I didn't skip pages because the content was all new for me. I didn't read the ICND1 book though.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Well I would just continue to push at the rate you are. Take some practice exams after you finish to get a better gauge of how read you are. Worst case scenario you have to study some more topics before the exam. Best case scenario you get ICND 2 done really quick

Edit: I wouldnt skip pages or sectiosn though, just push through them
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP,

I'm doing the exact same method as you I've watched Jeremy's videos and reading the official study guide and finding the same thing I'm skipping over the stuff I know like you but focusing heavily on all the new stuff because Jeremy's videos are a great source he tends to leave a lot out or glosses over stuff that you might not pick up o actually needing to remember.

Although are you having a hard time reading the book? What I mean is Jeremy has enthusiasm in his voice and makes it "fun" to be a Cisco engineer but the book is so dry and boring.
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oli356 wrote: »
    In 1 you hardly cover VLANs, trunking, STP isn't mentioned, same with OSPF and EIGRP, ACLs, NAT CLI config.. So no, I didn't skip pages because the content was all new for me. I didn't read the ICND1 book though.

That's true. But now that I understand the fundamentals of networking, it all seems so easy to learn.
    wweboy wrote: »
    OP,
    Although are you having a hard time reading the book? What I mean is Jeremy has enthusiasm in his voice and makes it "fun" to be a Cisco engineer but the book is so dry and boring.

Yes. Sometimes I do have a hard time reading the book. Especially when I run into material I already know.
    Most times I make sure to visit the gym before studying. That helps me concentrate.
    Jeremy, in my opinion, is by far the best video training teacher.

I also find that some topics are explained very bad in the official exam guide. I might read Todd's after I'm done with the official book.
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've almost completed my studies for ICND2. It took me ~16 days to complete.
    And it's easy.
    There are basics of some vital topics but nothing is covered in depth.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security