what cert to get next...

JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
well, ive got my a+. and im goin to take my network+ exam this friday. which im pretty confident i should pass.

but im a bit unsure about what cert i wanna go for next. having the title of MCP would be cool, but what exams do i take for that? just any microsoft cert? like the 70-270 windows xp one?

and also, what about the MCSE and the MCSA certifications? what exams do those involve?

could someone help me clear this up? thanks!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, any Microsoft exam will do, so 70-270 would make you an MCP.

For the MCSA/MCSE requirements, and the different MCSA/MCSE specializations, read the following pages from the source:

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/mcsa

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/mcse

And good luck on Friday!
  • fadeonefadeone Inactive Imported Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    but im a bit unsure about what cert i wanna go for next. having the title of MCP would be cool, but what exams do i take for that? just any microsoft cert? like the 70-270 windows xp one?

Yes, to be MCP you need to only take 1 exam.

MCSA (4 tests) - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/

MCSE (6 or 7 tests) - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/

The exams included in MCSA are also included in MCSE.
  • JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok thanks! i think thats probably gonna be my next cert then. the 70-270 MCP one.

the mcse and mcsa do require alot of exams! sheesh. i think i'll hold off on those for a bit. ;)
  • huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let me congratulate you in advance on getting that Net+ cert. And good luck on ur road to MSCE.
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    I was pretty much in the same boat. I was going to take Security+ but with MS offering the 2nd chance promotion I figured I'd start working on 270 and then 290 while the promotion was active.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    jim_stasz wrote:
    I was pretty much in the same boat. I was going to take Security+ but with MS offering the 2nd chance promotion I figured I'd start working on 270 and then 290 while the promotion was active.

That is a good point!

Also depending on your situation you may want to take a look at the rollover certs to obtain a CST and CNST from having your A+ and Network+.
  • JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^^ yea i heard about how that combo acts as a elective for other certs. i'll look into that.

and thx for the luck on my exam 2morrow. :D
    You can get the CST from just having the A+, just incase there is any confusion about that.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Megadeth4168. Having both the CST and CNST, as well as the A+ and Net+ do you see a benefit in the CST and CNST? I'm just curious if it's work the money to do the rollover or just percieved as more paper certs?

Hopefully this doesn't come across as offensive, I just want to make sure I invest the little spare change I have for certs in a worthwhile cause.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
    drainey wrote:
    Megadeth4168. Having both the CST and CNST, as well as the A+ and Net+ do you see a benefit in the CST and CNST? I'm just curious if it's work the money to do the rollover or just percieved as more paper certs?

Hopefully this doesn't come across as offensive, I just want to make sure I invest the little spare change I have for certs in a worthwhile cause.

I honestly cannot answer your question at this time. I just did the rollover last week. To me it's worth having the extra certs otherwise I would not have bothered.

Problem with asking me this question is that I am already settled into a job that I have been at for 6 years and I make decent money already. I have the little bit of extra financial backing to be able to purchase the rollover certifications.

If money is an issue right now I suppose I would have to say that it might be a better use of your money to go for a higher certification instead of doing the rollover.

In one of my friends cases, He is trying to get his foot in the door in the IT field. He is going to be going for his A+, and if he can afford the rollover I told him to go for it.

Even though anyone with an A+ can do the rollover, not everyone knows about it/is going to go for it.... So my thinking would be that if the employer does not know about this rollover than when they look at my friend and then someone else who only has an A+ my buddy might be able to have an advantage.