Will there ever be an accurate study guide

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was reading Todd Lammle network+ deluxe guide and looking at ports and numbers and it says NTP is TCP 123 and says DHCP is TCP 67,68. Then I look at DHCP RFC and see its UDP 67,68 and NTP RFC is UDP 123. Do the editors ever review this for accuracy? It's annoying spending 50 bucks for a book and find errors like this. Am I just being to picky or does this kinda tick you off? Anyone else encounter this type of problem before?

Comments

• boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try looking up the errata for the version of the book you have. If the error isn't listed there, send the correction to the publisher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick Update. The DHCP in Todd Lammle's book was correct. I was looking at Bill Ferguson's book Network+ Review Guide and found the DHCP and NTP errors. But NTP error in Todd Lammle book is still valid

Would Wiley even pay for finding errors like this anyway?
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Books like this typically go through several iterations of review including developmental editing, copy editing, technical editor reviews, and proofing. Even with an author as talented as Todd Lammle and all the efforts put into catching and correcting errors, some errors still end up in the final copy. Some simply aren't caught by anyone reviewing the book, and some are added by a well meaning editor late in the process. Publishers pay for all of these editors but I've never heard of them paying for errors found after the book is published. Still, the publisher and author usually appreciate hearing from readers when they do find an error.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I've been reading technical books for a long time. While I only used to find the occasional errors, now they are getting worse every year. Yes, it disturbs me; however, I just assumed it was a sign of how illiterate & careless our society is getting as a whole.

In most books I find at least 50-75 errors. I never blame the authors though. I assume that they hire "average" people to proofread.

The more errors a book has though, the less likely I am again to repurchase by the same publisher.
  • cryoracryora Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using a book by Logical Operations. I'm only on Ch. 3 and have already found a couple of mistakes/inconsistencies.

On one page, it says that CAT 6 cable has a Maximum Speed of 1Gbps, while on another page it says it has a Transmission Speed of up to 155Mbps. So unless there's a difference between "Maximum Speed" and "Maximum Transmission Speed", which the book never specified, then this is a big inconsistency.

On one of the practice questions, they defined Frequency as the "Period of a wave" and as a science student, this was very confusing, since we have always been taught that they are inverses: f = 1/T, where T is the period in seconds. Period is the time it takes to complete a cycle. Frequency is the measure of the number of cycles that complete per second.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cryora wrote: »
    On one page, it says that CAT 6 cable has a Maximum Speed of 1Gbps, while on another page it says it has a Transmission Speed of up to 155Mbps.

Since the 802.3an standard specifies 10GBASE-T (allowing 10Gbps over Cat6 cable), none of these answers are quite correct. If I was forced to choose between them, I'd pick 1 Gbps, since it's the fastest most people have seen over Cat5/Cat6. Also, 155 Mbps is typically associated with optical (OC-3) and not copper UTP cable.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The answer to the title is no. I've found errors, usually very few and minor, in virtually every practice exam and study guide I've ever used. Always check multiple sources if you're unsure. Always use a practice exam unless you really don't need it. Differences between study guide and practice exam usually point to an error.

I've submitted corrections for every practice exam I've ever taken. At the same time, I've made similar errors myself in emails, posts, documents, and even conversation. No one's perfect, and life goes on. I can assure you that you should be able to pass Net+ with little difficulty even if every chapter has minor inaccuracies. Use multiple study guides and very little but the truth will stick in your brain and affect your exam.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    One of my motivations for writing the TechNotes (based on research and authoritative sources, i.o.w. not on cert guides) was the many errors I found in study guides and practice exams. Guess what, I ended up making a few myself as well :) Even with a team of excellent tech editors and proofreaders, books from the best and most popular authors have mistakes.

There's an upside too, it forces you to always use multiple resources and double check everything, which you should do anyway.
  • tanya_whitetanya_white Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I don't suggest you to stick with single study guide, there several other study guides are available regarding Network+ certification and it is always better to consult more then one books.