New CCNA Exams Really Announced just now! Take a look...

todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Take a look - I have TWO posts up my blog for the CCENT....Take a look at the labs in the new CCENT course! Tell me this isn't a BIG change!

Understanding Cisco’s new Certification Path | Lammle.com

Check out all the IPv6!

This is the first book I am working on since it is MUCH harder and covers what the ICND2 and CCNA covered in the past!
Todd Lammle

Comments

• todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which objective do I LOVE the most:

"Configure SVI interfaces"

it's about time!
    I just saw "Frame Relay" as an objective! Unbelievable!
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LOL^ Amazing its still in there!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    LOL^ Amazing its still in there!

Disapointing is a better word! ugh!
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The new ICND1 looks considerably more robust..glad I got it out of the way first!

That said, I'll still pick up some of the new material once it's made a few rounds/updates and study up for my own knowledge
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Very true, but I am disappointed that you dont need a CCNA to obtain other certification tracks. It just doesn't make any sense to work on an engine without the knowledge of basic tools. Well I guess cisco makes good money on test retakes so I guess they are banking on the fact that test takers without the foundational knowledge of routing and switching will bomb tests left and right. $$$$
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm actually happy this has been announced. This really makes me put some deadlines on myself.
  • TrowaOfTheNorthTrowaOfTheNorth Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pamccabe wrote: »
    I'm actually happy this has been announced. This really makes me put some deadlines on myself.

Definitely. I already had a game-plan with WGU to have the CCNA in September... now I guess I really HAVE to.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I wish the CCNA syllabus had been this when I was taking my CCNA. The course topics are MUCH more relevant to the real world than what it used to be. If any of you actually plan on working in networking in the real world, these exams will prepare you a bit better.

As far as not needing a CCNA as a prerequisite for other specializations, I might not agree with it but the candidate still has to have at LEAST a CCENT so it's not exactly like they can be CCNA:Security or CCNA:Voice without ANY Cisco knowledge whatsoever. From the sounds of it, Cisco beefed up the CCENT a bit so it's not going to be completely easy to pass
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • TheMontuTheMontu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wonder if I should hurry up and take the old test...or just take the new ones? (haven't started studying or bought any materials)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why would you want to 'hurry' to take a test?

The point of the certification isn't the certification in of itself. It's merely a validation of what you know, and you can prove it. I don't think it should be the goal. Afterall, a certification isn't a golden ticket for a magical realm of happy money-place!

The goal, and correct me if I'm wrong, is to get a firm, unshakable foundation in the topics that CCENT/CCNA gives you. These are topics that are true, and will carry you throughout your Networking Job.

Sure, a certification is a checkbox in HR. But behind that checkbox, you're saying you know something about cisco. You'll be able to find the CONSOLE port, you'll be able to log into the router/switch and perform basic troubleshooting.

Don't hurry the knowledge. My advice: Go through the exam topics, see the differences. Study what's the familiar parts: Know them. Enjoy their company.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• TheMontuTheMontu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    your right, the new exam looks good, Its just I hope there is good study material for it soon..if not I may take some Ms certs first until there is more info/resources available for the new tests.
  • amcloneamclone Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that they made a mistake and the exam descriptions are reversed for ICND1 and ICND2. Being sarcastic of course...
    Working on CCNP Switch.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah so if you have a the old ccent, you can take the new ICND2 or the old ICND2 and still be a CCNA.

The new ICND1 looks indeed very robust.

Are they going to make changes on the NP side?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • akarimullaakarimulla Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can any one throw some light on exact differences between old & new exam of CCNA ?
    I'm going to sit for CCNA exam on this month ending..I have prepared keeping old exam in mind
    Should I take New exam or old exam ?..Is there any change in syallabus for new & old exams ?
    Please help!!!!

How does Job Market will treat Old & New Certifications ..Are they of equal value ? or Old certification will be treated obsolete & New CCNA exam certification holders will have any edge ?
  • palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok..so I cleared my CCENT and am now preparing for ICND2..can I use the old books and syllabus if I sit for the exam before 30th of September?Can anyone simplify and tell me?
  • DaBirdDaBird Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This looks new
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At First I Was Wanting To Get It Done, ButI Think I Could Benefit Myself More By Taking The New Test. It's Not About Just Passing The CertificatioB.C. It's Gaining The Most Relevant Knowledge.
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Todd how long does it usually take for you to get a book released when a new exam version is released? Also, how long does it usually take Cisco Press to release their version?
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it me, or does the ICND2 (the new exam) seem much, much easier than before?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    krjay wrote: »
    Todd how long does it usually take for you to get a book released when a new exam version is released? Also, how long does it usually take Cisco Press to release their version?

It takes about 4-5 months. Seems like a long time, but I'll have it out asap. I'm working on them now.
    Todd
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have a CCENT then you can just read up on the parts that you are currently missing.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    akarimulla wrote: »
    Can any one throw some light on exact differences between old & new exam of CCNA ?
    I'm going to sit for CCNA exam on this month ending..I have prepared keeping old exam in mind
    Should I take New exam or old exam ?..Is there any change in syallabus for new & old exams ?
    Please help!!!!

How does Job Market will treat Old & New Certifications ..Are they of equal value ? or Old certification will be treated obsolete & New CCNA exam certification holders will have any edge ?

If you want to know the differences just compare the exam topics of the new and old exams. No one can tell you anything further than that.

As far as job market, it's no difference. Either way you are just plain old CCNA certified.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    akarimulla wrote: »
    Please help!!!!

Brett Lovins from Cisco said the following in a thread on the learning network: "There's a really nice delta document (what's different) going up tomorrow too. It will be easy to see the differences."
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took my ccna classes in jun 2005-jun 2006 when i was 19, just image how much it has changed hahaha. When i took my security in 2006 classes the operating system structure was completely different with CatOs it was like one big text file, frame relay, x.25 and all those old technologies were main topics.
    I starting to feel like an old man haha.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    JustFred wrote: »
    Ah so if you have a the old ccent, you can take the new ICND2 or the old ICND2 and still be a CCNA.

The new ICND1 looks indeed very robust.

Are they going to make changes on the NP side?

I think it's pretty much a guarantee the CCNP will be revised and renamed to CCNP Routing and Switching at some point, just as the CCNA is now CCNA Routing and Switching.

I kinda like the idea of a beefed up CCNET as the prerequisite for all Associate level exams rather than CCNA being required. A voice guy doesn't necessary need in-depth EIGRP and OSPF knowledge.
  • Rodzilla GRodzilla G Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this info Todd.....any knowledge of what is covered on the ICND2 test?
    Rodzilla G wrote: »
    Thanks for this info Todd.....any knowledge of what is covered on the ICND2 test?

Posts in the News and Announcements Category at Lammle.com

It's a Lot!
  • Rodzilla GRodzilla G Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□

Will you be providing any online video trainings for the new ICND1/ICND2 certs?
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    palit wrote: »
    Ok..so I cleared my CCENT and am now preparing for ICND2..can I use the old books and syllabus if I sit for the exam before 30th of September?Can anyone simplify and tell me?

Yes, you can.