Options

Ideas for a 10k Lab

amcloneamclone Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently have my ICND2 exam scheduled for April 5th. After I become a CCNA, I will pursue my CCNP. My employer is willing to pay 10k for a CCNP lab for myself and others. I have no idea where to start. The equipment has to be new. Does anyone have any lab ideas for 10k?

Thank You
Working on CCNP Switch.

Comments

• Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Why new equipment? That would be a waste of money honestly. You can do the CCNP with GNS3. If you want physical equipment then $1,000 would easily cover it with used equipment.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I have no idea why equipment would have to be NEW for a LAB.

That would be a reason you'd rip off $10,000, due to buying new equipment.

If you went used, you'd be able to get three or four full CCIE racks out of it.

Purchasing NEW, I'm not sure if you can even get one. ... Do you get a substantial partner discount?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    amcloneamclone Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They want to use it in production after we are finished with it. What do you suggest as a used lab? Thank You
    Working on CCNP Switch.
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    I would agree that buying used equipment would generally make more sense.

Going new, and from my memory of the old blueprint, I would probably go with something like:

1X 3560 8 port ~ $1200
    2X 2960 8 port ~ $1400
    3x 2901 ~ $3900
    Maybe a fourth 2901, and some serial cards for a few grand.

Prices are approximate from CDW.com, ymmv.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're buying new equipment to use, I'd suggest going with Cisco's lab-equipment list for the CCIE Routing & Switching lab. The CCNP R&S is on the same path as the big, bad lab-exam. I'd imagine that if it's good enough for the CCIE, it's probably going to be good enough for the CCNP:
    Version 4.0
    • 1841 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
    • 3825 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
    • Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 - Advanced IP Services
    Or, at the very least, go with a few pieces of this lab, (getting a couple of 3560 switches will be a priority,) and then going for a couple of used devices, like the 2800 series routers, to round it out. Look into the costs, see what you can get, and take it from there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    My last place purchased a lab with all 2911s and 3750-Xs, it was for CCIE rack studies and labbing customer networks. It was way overkill but considering how much it got used it was well worth it.

For the NP however you definitely don't need all that.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you intend to use the equipment in production, can you buy what you think you will need then lab on it before it goes into production?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Some of the IOS upgrades you may need in "production" can run you 10,000$.... I'm with others - ask for $1000 for permanent used equipment or use GNS3
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    10k won't get you much brand new, maybe two 2901's and two 2960's. Once you throw in add-in cards and smartnet, you won't have any money left for a super big gulp.