Cable Standards

neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

It is my first question while I am studying and I hope it's not a stupid one.

Learning about Cat 5E cables and it talks about crimping your own, it says T568A and T568B can I ask what is the difference if any. He says on CBT Nuggets they are both standard and I wanted to know if there was a point to using one or the other.

Thanks
Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TIA/EIA 568B is the standard pin layout. You would use both 568A & 568B when creating a crossover cable, and you would use a crossover cable when linking 2 switches together.

For the exam remember a crossover cable is used to connect like devices and a straight cable is used to link unlike devices like a switch (Layer 2) and a router (Layer 3).

I tend to remember 568B off the top of my head but have to look up 568A! icon_redface.gif
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    The B colorcode is the one that's used the most and standard. Don't ask me why, though.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my experience in the field most people use T568B over T568A.

I think T568A was designed more for phones since the
    two inner pairs of 568A are wired the same as a two-line phone jack.

A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Welcome to the forum.

The only stupid question is the 1 that goes unasked.

Try this:
    What's the Difference Between T568A and T568B?
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    For the exam remember a crossover cable is used to connect like devices and a straight cable is used to link unlike devices like a switch (Layer 2) and a router (Layer 3).

I just want to clarify this because I was always told that for the exams you need to know Cisco's answers. After going through a few practice exams, I was burnt by this. Devices either transmit on wires 1 and 2, receive on 3 and 6, and other devices like hubs and switches transmit on pin 3 and 6, and receive on 1 and 2. So if you want to connect hubs together, or switches together, or go from a hub to a switch, you need a cross over cable. Now, devices like a computer NIC, routers, wireless access points, and network printers all transmit on 1 and 2, and receive on 3 and 6. Therefore, you would need to use a crossover cable to connect devices together like computers, routers, access points, and printers. That means that a PC to router connection needs a crossover cable. To connect the two different groups together, use a straight through cable.
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    T568B for straight cable layout.
    T568B to T568A is the standard layout for crossover cable.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The orange/orange-white and green/green-white are reversed.

A: Green-White, Green, Orange-White, Blue, Blue-White, Orange, Brown-White, Brown
    B: Orange-White, Orange, Green-White, Blue, Blue-White, Green, Brown-White, Brown
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    TIA/EIA 568B is the standard pin layout. You would use both 568A & 568B when creating a crossover cable, and you would use a crossover cable when linking 2 switches together.

I tend to remember 568B off the top of my head but have to look up 568A! icon_redface.gif

I also only remember B off the top of my head. But, the only difference between A and B is that you reverse the orange and green wires [and their striped counterparts]. So, figuring out A is just a matter of saying "Orange", but actually using "Green" or vice-versa.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for slow reply been ill,

Thanks everyone for your great input :)
    Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]