Security R00kies

CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
http://it-security-professionals.com/

Seems like a cool way for newcomers to get involved in the security scene.

Set up an account and join the "r00kies" group to get started.

FYI, the site just went live so I'm pretty sure not all of the features are readily available at the moment.

Comments

• jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    Just a little bit more background for those interested, it's Joe McCray's program. Joe is a great, funny, and very knowledgeable guy. I learned a lot as my time as a r00kie and met some great people through it, be wary though, a significant time investment is required!
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @jasong318 Can you maybe provide us a breakdown of how things are done? What you can expect from the experience etc. any input would be greatly appreciated!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Sure, i'll jump on later when I get home from work and provide a little more detail.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I understand this is a new site, but they shouldn't have live pages that are not production ready... If so put some type of notice.
    Learn- There are tons of tutorials, videos, links to places where you can get more information. This website is dedicated to being the one-stop shop for IT Security Professionals. The content is broken as follows: -nothing-
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I understand this is a new site, but they shouldn't have live pages that are not production ready... If so put some type of notice.

That was my 1st red flag....kind of fishy looking.....icon_scratch.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
    @yuckthefankies Thanks for the info, worth taking into consideration as he does admit on his own blog to using the other guys work.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hypntick,

I have a problem with him profiting off other peoples work (aka selling classes and using work that is not his).
    @yuckthefankies Oh I completely agree 100%, even with the stated reasons behind it. Even if you're upset with someone because they've wronged you, be the bigger man.
    I'm confused on where you are going but I just wanted people to know what's been going on with Joe McCray.
  • CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm confused on where you are going but I just wanted people to know what's been going on with Joe McCray.

Hypntick is not referring to you specifically... He's talking about Joe McCray in regards to how he reacted to Saumil Shah.
    Now that makes more sense, I was confused lol
    Wow, i haven't been keeping up with the news apparently. That's a shame to see... I didn't see any plagiarism when I was part of the group, but if these allegations turn out to be correct you might want to steer away icon_sad.gif
  • jason_miller13jason_miller13 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently a Senior Security R00kie with Joe and think its a great way to gain security experience. You can listen to his side of the story on the PaulDOTcom podcast.

PaulDotCom: Archives

Anyway, in all the projects I have worked on they have been properly cited with where the information is coming from. The majority of work isn't for profit and is used in creating a central repository of labs/guides that are going to be offered on IT Security Professionals. The site is very much a work in progress but if you want to see what kind of Labs/guides that you will be working on as a r00kie check out the group "Free Hacking Course" and then look under courseware -> Lectures for documents we have been creating. Check out the "Add_User WMIC script" to see some of the work I have done personally.

I personally love the learn by doing aspect and its great to join a group of like minded people who are working on learning the same thing. As Jasong318 said it is a decent amount of time required. You can read some blog posts on the older security rookies blog about other's experiences.

The Security Rookies | Just another WordPress.com site

PS: Let me know if you want more info and Ill be happy to explain further.
    Yeah sorry yuckthefankess, wasn't more clear with that. I was looking at some of the courses he had available a little while ago, and requested some info but never heard anything. Now that this shows up, with him admitting to doing so, makes me glad I didn't spend the money.