Anyone Taken the New ICND1 (100-101) Yet

theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was just looking over the new ICND1 topics. I am currently mid-way through Chapter 11 (OSPF) of Odom's ICND2 book and noticed that once I finish this chapter, I could just skip to chapter 18 (NAT) and 19 (IPv6) and would have covered all the topics listed for the new ICND1 [except SVI and possibly DHCP]. That had me thinking that I might take the new ICND1. But, I have some questions...

1)
Identify common applications and their impact on the network
I presume this means VoIP, IPTV (Video over IP), and Data and their respective needs for Delay, Jitter, and Latency?

2)
Identify the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect Cisco network devices to other network devices and hosts in a LAN
I know this surely includes TIA-568A/B, Straight-Though vs. Crossover. But, does this include maximum lengths and connectors for things like ThinNET/ThickNET (Coax), Fiber Optics, etc...?

3)
Determine the technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks
What else is there than CSMA/CD (CSMA/CA for WLANs) nowadays? I don't think Token Ring, etc...were even on the old ICND1. Or do they mean matching duplex settings?

4)
Configure and verify trunking on Cisco switches
Have they gone strictly 802.1Q or do I still need to remember the details of ISL? I've read that the newer switches don't even support ISL anymore.

5)
Describe IPv6 addresses
I assume this includes the fact that it's 128 bits (16 bytes) and is divided into 8 Hexadecimal Words (1 word = 16 bits) and the various types of addresses (Link Local, Unique Local, Global...). Does it include tunneling addresses (Toredo, 6to4, etc...)?

6)
Configure and verify utilizing the CLI to set basic Router configuration
Console configuration, VTY Configuration, Banners, Passwords, Secrets, Password Encryption and Types (5 vs. 7), anything else?

7)
Configure SVI interfaces
Where can I find study material for SVI?

icon_cool.gif
Configure and verify DHCP (IOS Router)
I assume this means using the CLI and not SDM [which I'm hoping has been done away with.]

9)
Configure and verify ACLs in a network environment
Does this include Reflexive and/or Dynamic ACLs or just Standard/Extended Named and Numbered ACLs. Odom glossed over the former, describing what they do, but not how to configure them. If I need to configure them, that would be new material to learn. Also, is it still limited to ACLs on routers or would I need to learn ACLs for switches (VLAN ACLs and MAC ACLs)?

10)
Configure and verify NAT for given network requirements
Same question as for DHCP. CLI only? No SDM?

11)
Configure and verify network device security features such as
"Such as" what??? Some words (everything after "such as") seem to have been dropped on this one and on the next one (Port Security).

12) I didn't notice spanning tree mentioned on ICND1, so I assume it must still be an ICND2 topic. The new ICND2 lists PVSTP which I assume means Single Instance Spanning Tree has been done away with [for the CCNA.]

13) I didn't notice VPNs on either the new ICND1 or ICND2. I cannot imagine that they've done away with VPNs unless they're limiting it to one of the specialty exams [such as CCNA: Security]. Perhaps, they are referring to VPNs when they list PPPoE on the ICND2. But, I cannot imagine them only testing on PPPoE VPNs and not PPTP, SSTP, and/or L2TP.
R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
Security: CCNA [ ]
Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]

Comments

• TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    No one has taken it yet. It's not been released.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TehToG wrote: »
    No one has taken it yet. It's not been released.

It was released yesterday.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    more than likely not....need books before exam icon_wink.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Theodoxa, if you want the real scoop on the exam, spend 5-10 minutes and sign up for a Cisco login. Then, you'll be able to access the full exam blueprint, instead of the partial one you're currently accessing.
    Partial wrote:
    Full wrote:
    Configure and verify network device security features such as:
    Device password security
    Enable secret vs enable
    Transport
    Disable telnet
    SSH
    VTYs
    Physical security
    Service password
    Describe external authentication methods

See:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17401
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It has just been released man!!
    Let the books come out, with tutorials, video guides etc. Then people can actually take the test.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
    Theodoxa, if you want the real scoop on the exam, spend 5-10 minutes and sign up for a Cisco login. Then, you'll be able to access the full exam blueprint, instead of the partial one you're currently accessing.

See:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17401

Thanks. I didn't know such a blueprint existed. I had been relying on the "Exam Topics" which are a bit vague.
    BTW, I know some people must've seen or taken the [Beta?] exam before even the 26th since they are already writing the books (Odom's is scheduled for release in < 3 weeks) and they already have CBT Nuggets out for both of the new exams.
    From the Blueprint:

1)
    Identify common applications and their impact on the network
    Still not answered

2)
    Identify the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect Cisco network devices to other network devices and hosts in a LAN
    Still not answered

3)
    Determine the technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks
    Still not answered

4)
    Configure and verify trunking on Cisco switches
    Lists DTP (Dynamic Trunking Protocol) and Autonegotiation, but no mention if ISL or 802.1Q only.

5)
    Describe IPv6 addresses
    This is about what I had figured ("Global unicast, Multicast, Link local, Unique local, eui 64, autoconfiguration")

6)
    Configure and verify utilizing the CLI to set basic Router configuration
    "Cisco IOS commands to perform basic router setup" This is just as vague as the Exam Topics.

7)
    Configure SVI interfaces
    Where can I find study material for SVI?

icon_cool.gif
    Configure and verify DHCP (IOS Router)
    No mention of SDM on the blueprint, so its probably safe to assume its CLI only.

9)
    Configure and verify ACLs in a network environment
    Only lists named and numbered (standard, extended). So, should be nothing new here.

10)
    Configure and verify NAT for given network requirements
    No details on blueprint, but probably safe to assume CLI only?

11)
    "Describe external authentication methods" I assume this means RADIUS and TACACS+. Do I need to know how to configure for RADIUS/TACACS+ or just know what they are and how they work?

12) Still don't see anything on the blueprint about STP, so probably safe to assume its ICND2 only. The ICND2 blueprint lists more STP topics [including the basics] than the exam topics, so this seems to be the case.

13) VPNs are ICND2, but listed only under the "Describe" section: "Metro Ethernet, VSAT, Cellular 3G / 4G, MPLS, T1 / E1, ISDN, DSL, Frame relay, Cable, VPN" I can't imagine not having to at least configure a basic VPN (PPTP). Was ISDN on the last ICND2???
    theodoxa wrote: »
    BTW, I know some people must've seen or taken the [Beta?] exam before even the 26th since they are already writing the books (Odom's is scheduled for release in < 3 weeks) and they already have CBT Nuggets out for both of the new exams.

Just double checked and it appears Odom's book was released as an eBook the same day the test was released. The hard copy won't be available for a few more weeks though.

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/cisco-ccent-ccna-icnd1-100-101-official-cert-guide-9780133367881
    http://www.ciscopress.com/store/cisco-ccna-routing-and-switching-icnd2-200-101-official-9780133367713
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam the day it was released.
    Here is my assesment: "Take the current CCNA, make it twice as hard and rename it CCENT".
    I'm trying to finish my book up, but I have to add a whole lot more on IPv6! I mean a lot more, so that will keep me busy for another few weeks.
    That's all I'll say for now....I may create a new post, but I want to write it carefully and correctly.
    Todd Lammle
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I took the exam the day it was released.
    Here is my assesment: "Take the current CCNA, make it twice as hard and rename it CCENT".
    I'm trying to finish my book up, but I have to add a whole lot more on IPv6! I mean a lot more, so that will keep me busy for another few weeks.
    That's all I'll say for now....I may create a new post, but I want to write it carefully and correctly.
    Todd Lammle

So the new CCNET exam is twice as hard as the current composite CCNA exam?
    Well, I don't want to exaggerate and say just that, but let's just say that the new CCENT is nothing like the current CCENT at all! Depends on your working expereince. You may find it easier than others if you've been working in the field, and IPv6 is part of your job.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    So what he is saying is if you haven't already passed the CCENT, get on it before Sept 30.
    Yes, that's pretty much it! :)
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I am given to understand that the new CCNA is called CCNA: R&S. If I were to get my CCNA tomorrow (old exam) would I have the CCNA R&S certification or just CCNA as always?
    I have my CCENT now and plan to take ICND2 in May after my university exams.

Also, Assuming that after CCNA I go on to CCNP, Are there any topics I miss or is alot of this new CCNA material encroaching on CCNP territory. I'd hate to have a gap in my knowledge.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure you get the CCNA:R&S I'm just double checking.
  • TheMontuTheMontu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, that's pretty much it! :)
    Thanks for just saying it!
    I'm waiting for your book to arrive at my door step tomorrow and I'll get to it.
    (Decided not just because its easier but the dead line will help me stay on track)
    TheMontu wrote: »
    Thanks for just saying it!
    I'm waiting for your book to arrive at my door step tomorrow and I'll get to it.
    (Decided not just because its easier but the dead line will help me stay on track)

I like the new exams and the new objectives. They are very relistic to what I see at my customers. Wtih that said, I like the 9/30 deadline for just the reason you stipulated! :)
    Can't wait to start the new CCENT and CCNA classes laster this summer. For now I am still teaching the current exams.
    Todd