GSEC passed

azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
Got a 92 in a little under two and a half hours.

It's nice to have this in the rearview mirror and i've already started on the next one. These darn things are addictive.

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Wish my employer paid for SANS training for me icon_sad.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How was the learning / exam experience compared to the other SANS training you've had? I'd be interested to hear since it seems like 401 / GSEC is the introductory path someone would normally take.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    @ Webgeek Thank you. You and me both!!! All of my SANS training, certs, travel have been out of pocket. It's not cheap but my knowledge has grown by leaps and bounds this last year and that feels good.

@ docrice This one was a lot different for me. If I had my choice I would have started with the 401 but it didn't work out that way. Going into the 401 having already taken the 504 and 508 there was obviously some material that I was familiar with but I also picked up a lot of little nuances that I was unaware of and some of the things from 504 made a little more sense.

Dr. Cole's energy and teaching ability were unreal and he was also extremely friendly. He also did a great job looking at a lot of the topics from a business perspective and I have no doubt that some of his ideas on metrics and methodology will come in handy at some point in my life.

I imagine a lot of people will skip right over 401 and go straight to the 500 level courses but they would be missing out on a great class that gives a quality overview of the security field. After taking the 401 I'd love to take the 501 should the opportunity ever present itself.
    ZOMG?!?!?! Really??? Out of your own pocket??? Ouch! Not gonna lie, I've been thinking about doing the same but the whole process I'm very unsure of. Don't know how to schedule an exam or if I need to attend the class 1st...Don't know about the whole expire in 4 years / renewal process.

Haven't really looked into it that much since it is not on my radar for this year.......
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I agree that Dr. Cole's 401 class is not to be missed. His lectures are also on the MP3's for 401. I also just noticed that he teaches 501 for the GCED as well.
    There are a few threads on here where i and others have posted our work study experiances. It may be a good option for you.
    Thanks azmatt! I will definitely have a look at all the information you and others have posted. So should I avoid 301 (GISF) and go directly into 401 (GSEC)?
    JD, i read all of your gsec stuff while preparing for my exam so thanks again.

Next up is the cissp in may. After a gauntlet of sans tests it will be weird to take a closed book test. For those who have gsec and cissp, did you find a lot of overlap?
    Yes times 1000 on avoiding the 301. Ive even seen some brochures that has a warning label on the 301 that basically says 'if you know anything at all about security take the 401'. If you have the a, net and sec you'll likely never feel overwhelmed but will learn a ton. I did.
    Thanks azmatt! lol I did a simple search after I posted and found out everyone is saying Sec+ then GSEC and to avoid GISF.

hhmmmm maybe next time they come to orlando........or I might have to make a trip. Maybe we should have a TE trip to SANS?! lol
    Unless something drastic happens i'll be at vegas in sept. Orlando would be a blast though.
    Vegas huh....yea I'll tell me wife that I'm going to Vegas without her...I'll let you know how that goes icon_pirat.gif
  • JoshbizJoshbiz Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webgeek, With the 401 and the renewal process you don't have to take the exam every 4 years there's a way to get credits so you don't have too.
    Check out this site, How to Renew Your GIAC Security Certification

AZMatt Congratulations on the pass!