Management certifications?

SpoonroomSpoonroom Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

So far I have the following qualifications: Network+, I-Net+, CNA, MCP, MCSA +Messaging, CIW-A and writing my last exam for my MCSE this Monday. Also thinking of maybe getting my CCNA after that.

The only thing that worries me about these qualifications is that I'm afraid I'll be stuck in technical work. Are there any Management qualifications that I can do thats also involved in IT? The only other option is getting a degree, but at the moment I don't have the time or money for that...

Any advice?

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    look at community college. i have seen some offer management certs by way of their classes. unfortunately it was not covered by any kinds of student assistance programs
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I know that certainly here in the UK a very popular and in demand Certification is the Prince2 (www.prince2.com) which deals with IT project management principles, another is the ITIL certification.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Capetown hey, don't think we get many South Africans here.

It was pretty good series between Aus and SA in the cricket. And not just because we won icon_wink.gif

Anyway - management certs. ITIL is definitely worth a go, they are considered leaders in IT management theories and development. I did the foundations to get my foot in the door to management (not there yet) but will pursue it more from there. The knowledge is very valuable to know and helps you with your on going work within the IT arena, whether your Help Desk or any tier support or on projects.

From a project management perspective, PMP and Prince II are the most recognised. Price is big in UK, PMP big in US, in Australia I think Prince may also win, but PMP is still very prevelant.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I agree that you should look into community college. You can usually get a management cert for about 30 credits, which isn't too bad. Plus education looks great next to a cert and experience imho. You might even be able to get out of taking a few classes by doing CLEP exams. Look into it. Good luck :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

strauchr, yes, haven't seen any other South Africans here yet ;)

I've heard about ITIL before, I'll look into that. Don't have anything like community colleges here in SA, and the colleges we do have doesn't offer courses like that.
  • SpoonroomSpoonroom Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to find some info on the ITIL. Getting a lot of different stuff in Google. What does ITIL stand for?
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    IT Infrastructure Library

and you can't have a pic in your sig.
    witty comment