Is frame relay still used?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I'm reading up frame relay chapters for CCNA. Just to gain a bit real-world knowledge, what's the current state of frame-relay? Is this a mature technology or retired technology? Are there competing technologies for WAN connectivity?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's a legacy technology. Still used in places, but widely being phased out over the years. Most of what I've seen is frame on the edge into an MPLS network rather than large frame networks remaining.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jason_miller13jason_miller13 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep, still used. I work for a city and all of our buildings are connected via Frame Relay links, trying to move away though.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    it is still on the exam, so make sure you get familiar with the technology. As stated above, most people have moved to MPLS now.

J
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The last time I passed through the CCNA, Frame Relay configuring/troubleshooting was minimal, and the focus was on the operation of routers on non-broadcast media. That's more relevant and can be applied to different access technologies.
  • workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    It's a legacy technology. Still used in places, but widely being phased out over the years. Most of what I've seen is frame on the edge into an MPLS network rather than large frame networks remaining.

Then does any Cisco course explain MPLS? If not, where to learn about MPLS?
    Look into the service provider courses. It's not something the average enterprise networking professional really needs to know much about though.
    Look into the service provider courses. It's not something the average enterprise networking professional really needs to know much about though.
    Aye! The CCIP, JNCIS-SP, CCNP-SP, JNCIP-SP, CCIE-SP, and JNCIE-SP cover MPLS. You will never know everything about networking, so figure out if you need to learn much about MPLS. It's a core technology in the service provider arena.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    One of the professors at my university said he hasn't seen it deployed in a production network for a little more than 2 years but pointed out that you can run into it. As far as I know the concepts from FR can be applied to MPLS so no worries.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    As far as I know the concepts from FR can be applied to MPLS so no worries.

I wouldn't go that far. Vastly diferent technologies.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Working for a consultant I came across maybe 3 frame-relay networks in the last few years.

That's it though. As mentioned before it's a fading technology.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    We have several frame relay circuits but they are all going to be phased out this year.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I seem to remember someone saying, 'When the Armageddon comes, the only things that will be left are roaches and frame-relay.' Not sure, might have been Jeremy @ CBTNuggets.
    I've seen different WIC for smart serial, T1, ISDN, or DSL on a router. Does MPLS require its own special WIC on Cisco routers? What kind of physcial connection does MPLS have on a router?
    I've seen different WIC for smart serial, T1, ISDN, or DSL on a router. Does MPLS require its own special WIC on Cisco routers? What kind of physcial connection does MPLS have on a router?

MPLS is not a data-link protocol, so there's no "special WIC" for it anymore than you use a special WIC to run the Routing Information Protocol. Also, typically only the service provider configures or runs any processes related to MPLS.

If you want to know how to use an MPLS service--

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/archived-articles/510-enterprise-buyers-guide-to-layer-3-mpls-vpn-services.html
    Thank you all. That's all my questions about MPLS as far as CCNA is concerned. :D
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    volume wrote: »
    I seem to remember someone saying, 'When the Armageddon comes, the only things that will be left are roaches and frame-relay.' Not sure, might have been Jeremy @ CBTNuggets.

Haha, that's awesome!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS