JNCIA advice please!

superdat1superdat1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all!

I'm planning on taking the exam for JNCIA by the end of April. My networking knowledge is sub-par at the moment. I've been reading through the fast track study guides provided by Juniper and I've sat through most of the CBT nuggets series in regards to this, however; I still don't feel %100 confident.

At work, I have access to a few Juniper devices to play around with.

-SSG5
-SRX100
-EX3200 & 4200

I've spent quite a bit of time in those and feel pretty comfortable. My question is, what can I do to really test my knowledge with those devices that will cover things that'll be on the exam?

Thank in advance!

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    superdat1 wrote: »
    My networking knowledge is sub-par at the moment.
    The Fast Track program includes "Networking Fundamentals" training software to help with that.
    My question is, what can I do to really test my knowledge with those devices that will cover things that'll be on the exam?
    Juniper also publishes (free) "JUNOS As A Second Language" training software

This is an associate-level exam. You are not expected to have mastered the OS yet. That's what JNCIS, JNCIP, and JNCIE are for! If you remember how to do almost everything in the Fast Track guides, you should be set.
  • superdat1superdat1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the response! I've got that video down. I guess my knowledge is a little better than sub-par, I just didn't want to underestimate the info.

Well, I guess I'll give the study guides a few more look overs and schedule. Maybe I'm analyzing this test too much. I guess I'll really know whenever I sit for it!

Thank you again for the reply :)
    Just wanted to update, I passed the JNCIA yesterday :D Exam was much easier than I thought it was going to be.

Next step is the JNCIS. I also applied for an internship program they offer here at my job for the networking dept. Hopefully this will lead to bigger better opportunities!
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats on the pass. Any tips to pass along (within NDA of course :)). I am waiting to sit for the exam in 3 - 4 weeks. How much hands on did you do with labs? Did you just use the Fast Track and CBTs?
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
    ajmatson wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. Any tips to pass along (within NDA of course :)). I am waiting to sit for the exam in 3 - 4 weeks. How much hands on did you do with labs? Did you just use the Fast Track and CBTs?

thanks! no hands on. there all multiple choice questions. Yep, the fast track guides and CBT series did it for me :)
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Awesome, I hope to sit the exam in the next few weeks :) Thanks again for the guidance :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
    ajmatson wrote: »
    Awesome, I hope to sit the exam in the next few weeks :) Thanks again for the guidance :)

np and good luck to you!
  • oldman1980oldman1980 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The free PDF from the Fast Track site for the JNCIA Junos really helped me out for the test.