Clear understanding of certification path?

iwannaknowITiwannaknowIT Member Posts: 111
After reading Cisco's new certification path for what prerequesites,would I still be considered CCNA Certified is I bypassed the ICND2 and went straight for the CCNAVoice(and passed,of course).My department is currently opening oppurtunities to join the VoIP Team(about to implement a total Cisco VoIP immigration) and I wouldn't want to "taint" my certification path.I became CCENT last year and the new rules have me a bit at the crossroads...icon_scratch.gif

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA:Voice certified. Yes.

CCNA:Routing and Switching certified. No.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I think were the confusion comes from is in the past the CCNA, was just cert it was never referred to as CCNA:R/S.

At least by no one I know.

So it is no longer a "CCNA" per say, it is now what kind of CCNA are you.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    Right. It took me a little while to sort out all the new changes. The longer I think about it, the more the sense it makes. It should be interesting to see how long it takes hiring managers to digest it all.
    It should be interesting to see how long it takes hiring managers to digest it all.

Tell me about, outside of CCNA/CCNP/CCIE they have no idea Cisco has other certificiations lol
    My Networking blog
  • iwannaknowITiwannaknowIT Member Posts: 111
    CCNA:Voice certified. Yes.

CCNA:Routing and Switching certified. No.

Clear as a bell..........I'm shooting for two certs since i'm so close to CCNA......Thnx
    Good for you. I'm hoping to knock mine out very soon.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It should be interesting to see how long it takes hiring managers to digest it all.
    Hiring manager at Cisco Systems: What's CCENT?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    LOL! Seriously?
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    Hiring manager at Cisco Systems: What's CCENT?

icon_lol.gif
    I think he is being sarcastic.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    To be honest, my manager (who did the interviews) at Cisco didn't know what CCENT is. Either have dozens of engineers I work with, this is probably because the simple reason that a lot of engineers have been in the industry for a while and did their CCNA before the CCENT was introduced.

I was talking to someone who is a CCIE since 1995 I think it was, he hadn't heard of it before.. can't blame them.

I do hope that with the new changes the CCENT becomes more known because it looks pretty brutal for an entry level cert.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
    I think the biggest issue with the CCENT is the fact, Entry and Technician are of the title.

The de-facto standard for years was CCNA breaking that mold is going to rough.

However maybe people felt that way before when it was just the CCIE.

I think Cisco might be making it too convoluted nowadays. Before it was

CCNA -> CCNP -> CCIE

now it's

CCT -> CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNP -> CCIE (CCDE -> CCAr)

From 3 levels to 6 levels.
    My Networking blog
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've never heard any of the ops people I work or socialize with mention the CCT or CCENT. To them, ICND1 is just part of "the two-exam CCNA option." They usually recommend the single exam because "you'll get your CCNA answering only half the number of questions." Management aims them at the CCNA/P and nothing short of that.

Hard to believe that the CCENT has been around for nearly six years now. I still remember the "Cisco money grab!" fracas over the pricing of ICND1 and 2.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I'm starting to hear CCENT being tossed around more so in the past two years than before. Especially with those just getting into the game. Truth be told, most HR recruiters are looking for vanilla CCNA listed somewhere in your resume. Depending on the shop, you may get someone looking for a specific flavor of CCNA. I've had a few come across my way with CCNA Voice as a listed desired cert. Given the changes to ICND1, I wonder if CCENT may become more acknowledged.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    SteveO86 wrote: »

Never even heard of CCT! I know of CCDE as that is well known, CCAr I hadn't heard of until I found out someone in the team is one ;)
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    now it's

Still, CCT is of very little use.
    oli356 wrote: »
    Never even heard of CCT! I know of CCDE as that is well known, CCAr I hadn't heard of until I found out someone in the team is one ;)

CCT is there. It's just to familiarize you with CISCO components.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I have seen the CCENT noted on more job ads lately, still not as prevalent as the higher ups of course... I also had an interview for a network job that required the CCNA, and the guy interviewing me had no idea what the CCENT was
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I have seen the CCENT noted on more job ads lately, still not as prevalent as the higher ups of course... I also had an interview for a network job that required the CCNA, and the guy interviewing me had no idea what the CCENT was

I've had managers ask me about the CCIP, since they have never heard of it.

I don't expect that to change especially since they have retired it.
    My Networking blog