Options

New Cisco Lab / Cisco Newbie

TheKirklanderTheKirklander Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I was finally able to get my boss to pony up and let me start training for some Cisco courses. icon_cheers.gif I have been working with Cisco to perform very basic adjustments to configs for the last 3 years or so. My goal is to become certified as soon as possible. With that said here is the current hardware that I have available to me:
ASA's:
~ASA 5510 Modules: -ASA SSM-10
Routers:
~2651XM Modules: (1)VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 (1)WIC1-DSU-T1V2 (1) NM-ESW-16
~2611XM Modules: (1)WIC1-DSU-T1 (1)WIC-2T
~2650XM Modules: (2)WIC1-DSU-T1V2
~2621 Modules (1)WIC1-DSU-T1
~2620XM (1)WIC1-DSU-T1V2 -WIC-1T
Switches:
~(2)WS-C3524-XL
~(2)WS-C3550-24-SMI
~WS-C3548-XL

I come from a very strong windows background (L3 System Admin) but never went very far with networking. I truly have been bitten by the networking bug and have found myself studying before eating lately.
SO: I am aware that this equipment would be fine for the CCNA but tbh my boss saw how fast I was able to obtain my MCSE (8 months for all 5 tests) and wants me to have my CCIE within 18 months (i told him he's on drugs) but, I couldn't hurt try.

Thanks in advance for checking out my setup and any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome lab setup! It will definitely suffice for CCNA. You may need to add some additions though for the CCNP and CCIE. As far as getting the CCIE in 18 months, I do think it is possible. If your boss is behind you and allowing you to study during work hours I don't see why you can't do it. It will require serious dedication.
    Welcome to TE!!
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    CCIE in 18 months? good luck man that is a big task to take on.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    As far as getting the CCIE in 18 months, I do think it is possible.
    For someone without any Cisco certification who only performs very basic adjustments? I doubt it. An MCSE is much easier to obtain than the CCIE. Even if he were to "succeed", he'd be a classic over-qualified / under-qualified candidate when applying for jobs.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he managed to knock out the CCNP R&S in 8 months.
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Both MCSE and CCIE are not joke. Given the experience MCSE would be much easier and even at that, 8 months for 5 exams (5 microsoft server exams) is pretty tough to do, but possible. Good luck on the exams and keep yourself motivated but also take some advice from some experienced people on this forum who have gone through the exams. They've taken these tests head on and know what to expect.

Going with from 0 to CCIE with little to no experience is expected to take a very long time, even if you were to pass it in that time, without the experience , and day to day use, how much would you be able to retain. Also with no experience, how would you sell yourself to future employers saying that you passed a test and now your a cisco master. I dont mean to bash but I just want to be realistic, If I didnt post this, im sure someone else will.

Then again, what do i know... i dont even have a CCNA yet =(. But I definetly have done my H.W. on this. But that shouldnt discourage you being the best you can be. Just make sure that you use what you learn so you can retain information and gain experience with the certs to backup your resume and you should be fine icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCIE in 18months??
    Almost impossible. :P
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Achieving a CCNA in 18 would be an amazing feat. I've never been the type of person to tell someone what they can't do.
    With that being said, you will have to put in a tremendous amount of time daily to achieve that goal.
  • Options
    TheKirklanderTheKirklander Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xocity wrote: »
    Both MCSE and CCIE are not joke. Given the experience MCSE would be much easier and even at that, 8 months for 5 exams (5 microsoft server exams) is pretty tough to do, but possible. Good luck on the exams and keep yourself motivated but also take some advice from some experienced people on this forum who have gone through the exams. They've taken these tests head on and know what to expect.

Going with from 0 to CCIE with little to no experience is expected to take a very long time, even if you were to pass it in that time, without the experience , and day to day use, how much would you be able to retain. Also with no experience, how would you sell yourself to future employers saying that you passed a test and now your a cisco master. I dont mean to bash but I just want to be realistic, If I didnt post this, im sure someone else will.

Then again, what do i know... i dont even have a CCNA yet =(. But I definetly have done my H.W. on this. But that shouldnt discourage you being the best you can be. Just make sure that you use what you learn so you can retain information and gain experience with the certs to backup your resume and you should be fine icon_thumright.gif

I am very well aware that this will be an almost impossible task and that is what I have told my superiors. I'm almost positive that the reason for the hard push to CCIE is to elevate the company's Cisco partnership. Nevertheless, I truely enjoy this stuff (and am not a complete newbie to networking; just Cisco) and will push hard. Thank you all for the warm welcome and I look forward to picking your brains when I get stuck :)