Options

Failed - 837

camalonecamalone Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
It spanked me again! icon_sad.gif

This was my second try. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Technology 64%
Implementation & Operation 85%
Planning & Design 81%
Troubleshooting 76%

First exam had a several ISDN questions. This time, none. I did 2 simulations. One troubleshooting OSPF config across 3 routers. One looking at switch info, MAC tables, root calculations, etc - mini-test.

Q. Given a destination IP address in a packet, how can you tell from the switch which MAC address the packet will be sent out on?

Comments: I was pretty confident going in. I've been scoring 90-100% on the Self-Test exams in Certification mode. While helpful, the Self-Test questions are not as tough as the real exam, IMHO. Only 4 simulations in Self-Test (could use more). I feel like you have to know "everything" about "everything" on routers and switches to pass the f...ing exam!

Comments

• Options
    x5150x5150 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Q. Given a destination IP address in a packet, how can you tell from the switch which MAC address the packet will be sent out on?

A. the MAC of the ethernet interface on the router connecting to the switch???

What self-tests program are u using? Semsim, Certsim, etc?
  • Options
    camalonecamalone Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The "show mac-address-table" command *I think* would give me what they were asking for.

I'm using Self Test software www.selftest.com It was included with the Boot Camp I attended at Global Knowledge.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

CAM
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    camalone wrote:
    Comments: I was pretty confident going in. I've been scoring 90-100% on the Self-Test exams in Certification mode. While helpful, the Self-Test questions are not as tough as the real exam, IMHO. Only 4 simulations in Self-Test (could use more). I feel like you have to know "everything" about "everything" on routers and switches to pass the f...ing exam!

Wow. Sometimes the "so close yet so far" situations are the worst.

I've been using Boson to prep for the ICND, and I'm running into the same problem you describe with Self-Test. I've looked at Transcender's demos, and while I'm hesitant to spend any more money at this point on the ICND, I think I'll use Transcender heavily if I go on to the CCNP.

Now that I think about it, I also liked the RouterSim CCNA demo a lot, but you have to have a fast machine with a high-res display (my dinky old Toshiba laptop wasn't cutting it).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    camalone wrote:

Third time is a charm :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!