*TechNotes* Shadow Copy Volumes (290/292/293/296)

Here's the first of a serie TechNotes for the Windows 2003 exams:

icon_arrow.gifShadow Copy Volumes
An overview of a new feature in Windows 2003 called Shadow Copy Volumes including details on how to configure it. Applies to exam 70-290, 70-292, 70-293 and 70-296.

Enjoy!

Johan :D

Comments

• jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, another excellent technote icon_thumright.gif
    just one typo in the paragraph above restoring shadow copies
    "multiple times though the Advanced"
    other than that brilliant, i learnt alot from reading it.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks! Glad you like.

Thanks again, for spotting the typo. Fixed it.
  • wrestlefeverwrestlefever Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice post dogg.......
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Anyone sat the 290? I'm getting ready for it but iI can't keep a constant 1 week stream of studying. icon_cry.gif
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is this an enhancement of the XP service 'vssadmin'? icon_confused.gif The help shows:
    Vssadmin
    Displays current volume shadow copy backups and all installed shadow copy writers and providers in the command window.

Syntax
    Vssadmin list {shadows [/set= [shadow copy set GUID]] | writers | providers}

My firewall has caught this trying to get on the internet - have no idea why. Executing the command shows no copies on my system, but it DOES try to go on the internet. Listing 'Providers' does show "MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0" Several 'writers' are also listed (also tried internet access icon_twisted.gif ).
  • afzaljasaniafzaljasani Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good u have given me much more informaton than i have expected
    :D
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Wow, this technote is really really good. Helped me to clear up alot of questions both on the client (XP) side, and on the server (2k3) side.

Thanks Johan!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks, and you're welcome :D

I just noticed it's 3 years old already... I remember enjoying writing this one and doing the research for it a lot. It's one of the best features introduced in Windows 2003 imo.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    Webmaster wrote:
    Thanks, and you're welcome :D

I just noticed it's 3 years old already... I remember enjoying writing this one and doing the research for it a lot. It's one of the best features introduced in Windows 2003 imo.

Gotta love the old VSS icon_cool.gif

I love the VSS... Right-click a file and go to an earlier version - marvelous. Bloody beauty!

I set my server up at home to have a dedicated 120GB VSS volume
  • dandawadandawa Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    These guys are great. The Practice material they offer, I tell you its one time