probably asked a million times but 2 questions regarding UTP Cabling

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
1. Does anyone have a good mnemonic for remembering the order (or is it just practice)
2. do you need to know 568A and 568B for ccent or just 568B?

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    1. Does anyone have a good mnemonic for remembering the order (or is it just practice)
    I think a better question is should you spend much time on this?

This goes into my "useless trivia" pile. I see little real-world value in remembering the precise pin-out besides being able to visually distinguish between cables types--e.g., straight-through, crossover, or rolled. Even the utility of that is decreasing. You could add this to your "5-minutes before the exam" cramsheet so you know it long enough to get that question right. ;)
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »

Don't Have a Mnemonic [personally,] but I just remember 568B and then flip the orange and green pairs to make 568A. The Blue and Brown pairs are the same for both A and B.

568A: GrW, Gr, OrW, Bl, BlW, Or, BrW, Br
    568B: OrW, Or, GrW, Bl, BlW, Gr, BrW, Br
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mostly, it's just practice. "Luckily", early in my career I made patch cables until my fingers bled. To re-create the pattern for 568B,

- Alternate stripes and solids - solids and stripes are never next to each other
    - Start with a striped one
    - The center pins were originally unused so they didn't get confused for phone wiring, and they're blue like the AT&T logo
    - Orange on the left like, the traffic cone on the left side of your truck
    - Brown on the right, like your coffee in the cupholder
    - Green surrounding the "phone" pair.

Then to convert to 568A, remember that a crossover cable is just a cable with 568A on one side and 568B on the other, and that the Orange and Green pairs are the ones that get swapped.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think a better question is should you spend much time on this?

This goes into my "useless trivia" pile. I see little real-world value in remembering the precise pin-out besides being able to visually distinguish between cables types--e.g., straight-through, crossover, or rolled. Even the utility of that is decreasing. You could add this to your "5-minutes before the exam" cramsheet so you know it long enough to get that question right. ;)

I remember back when I first studied Cisco (2001), there was ALOT of Cabling and Design in the Network Academy Curriculum. Literally a good chunk of Semesters 1 and 2 if I remember correctly was how to make UTP cables, Patch Panels, where to locate the MDF/IDFs, What a POP/Demarc is, etc...along with networking basics (OSI Model, etc...) Now, it seems that most of this has disappeared from the CCNA. They still require a cabling course (UTP, RG6, 66-Block, 110-Block, 25-Pair Splicing, and Basic Fiber Optics) at my local Community College as part of their AS degree, but from what I've seen in the books and videos, the only wiring/design left on the CCNA is 568A/B and when to use a crossover vs. straight-thru.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]