Options

specialization in IT field

xhujaaxhujaa Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Em doing BS(hons) IT 6th semestr..soo em just confuse in selecting field for specialization.. so plzz give me suggestion which field should i choose for specialization...??icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    I personally wish I had specialized in networking. Cisco is a much more linear path than trying to learn Systems Administration because every job wants you to know 4-5 core technologies then 4-5 specialized applications, and when applying for positions you are automatically behind anyone who just happens to already have experience with the specialized applications.Virtualization is a big thing and will probably only get bigger, but its hard to find positions that are dedicated to virtualization, often its a sys admin thats heavy in it but they want you to do regular sys admin work too.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    xhujaaxhujaa Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    n what about telecom engring??
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    You select by what your interest is & what will be most lucrative to specialize in.

Choose the item that gets your blood boiling & then compare it against what you see in job postings. Is it in high demand?... then definitely go for it. If not, select the next item that interests you & repeat the process.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Chooose DB Reports, everyone looooooves making reports.
    meh
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suggest:

DBA
    *nix
    BI
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Take the approach of a doctor. Learn a little bit of everything (because it will be expected of you anyway) then focus on whatever you found the most interesting. There is nothing wrong with focusing on networking then deciding you want to learn about Windows or SQL. The end result will simply be that you are more experienced in several fields.