Options

Is the dummies book any good?

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
I just looked it up on the net and the latest version was published way back in 2003, so I'm wondering how up to date it is.

I don't really care if it doesn't include some of the new things, i'm only buying it because I'm starting a 5 day class on April 10 and I don't want to invest in any of the heavy duty books yet cuz I want to wait and see what they provide, but i want to get a jump on the studying and all I expect from this book is to give me some of the basics I need to learn and give me a bit of a foundation for jumping into the "real" books.

I've been trying to become as proficient as I can with subnetting and going over some of the basic stuff like the OSI model, but without a book yet it's very hard to have a focus and move forward, so I'm hoping the dummies book would at least point me in the right direction and get the ball rolling a bit faster and give me something I can be learning up until the class starts.

Comments

• Options
    its a good read, but by all means do not make that your only book. It is definately lacking in many areas.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Never read it for CCNA personally though if its like the others in series i would only use it as a start point.

After all its aimed at "dummies" not people who are CCNA material.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    It's a good overview and starting point. You might skip over their subnetting section and wait to read Lammle's.

They also have good supplemental materials on the CD, as well as a decent study sites list (though many of the sites have shut down since).

I seem to recall they also have supplementary materials on the 'net, but it's been too long since I've been to the Dummies page.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    What would you guys suggest as a good review book after I finish the Sybex book?
    Now working full time!