Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    flash27flash27 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    murdatapes wrote: »
    Has anybody done the B.S. IT Management, or I'm the only sucker? icon_smile.gif I currently just waiting to speak with an advisor at my school currently (well going back. Stopped a year ago) to see how long I have to go to finish the AAS. If It's more than a year to finish my AAS I think the better route for me would be to transfer creds and to to WGU. Being I am changing directions from technical to management and I want my next position to be in management I feel it's a critical time for me to get the degree out the way. No kids and off 3 days a week. Think it's possible to finish with some creds moved over within 2 year?

Hahah you are not the only sucker. I am currently trying to finish up IT Management. I am attending at AMU (American Military University) though
    and it is quite expensive (thank goodness for my GI bill). WGU is quite intriguing. If they can take most of my credits so I can get my BS faster then I am all for that.
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    flash27 wrote: »
    Hahah you are not the only sucker. I am currently trying to finish up IT Management. I am attending at AMU (American Military University) though
    and it is quite expensive (thank goodness for my GI bill). WGU is quite intriguing. If they can take most of my credits so I can get my BS faster then I am all for that.

Ahh ok. Yeah I agree about the intriguing part. Everyday I have my hand on the trigger ready to go. Just trying to get a feel of the IT management classes. I am hoping to finish it off within 2 years. Not sure if that's dooable or not. Seen some post that seem to make me believe its possible, just have to hit it.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I think any of the IT programs are able to be completed in 24 months.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bundiman wrote: »
    I think any of the IT programs are able to be completed in 24 months.

Thanks Bundiman. I am really just trying to figure out the an ETA on completion and how many hours per day i can give. I was looking at the program classes and terms and wanted to see If could complete a class each week. Or atleast 18 CUs per term. Just trying to get a feel.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Just depends of the person and circumstances. If your new to IT in general, obviously take longer then somone who's been working in IT for 15 years.

Now with that being said, I've seen what appears to be an average of about 20-40 cu's on TE, some being around 15cu's some in the high 50's, again depending on their home life, and work life.

Edit: For most classes I put about 4-5 hours a day at work/home, and varied on weekends.

I pushed really hard at the beginning and burnt out around half way, but I'm going to manage about 60cu's for my first term, granted a lot of the easy math and CIW's one took about two weeks each, that's not the case for what I have left. I should be able to focus on my 70-64x's and a couple of papers I need to write for my second and have a two term finish hopefully.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ugh, doing humanities.

It's SO BORING.

Has anyone else done the humanities recently? Does it get any better? Is the exam tough? Do you have any tips on what to study for for the exam?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The humanities courses were boring, but not that hard. I always used the coaching reports from the pre-assessments to study from.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JIT2 is taking me longer than normal, i'm about halfway through my writing at this point. After speaking with the course mentor, turns out that I am more than likely going way more in depth than they are looking for on the rubric. I hope to finish up tomorrow or Wednesday night and get it submitted. I'll then move on to FXT2 over the weekend, and hope to finish and submit the first 2 tasks. After that, I guess it's an evaluation of if i'll even be able to do the FYV2 certification or not due to the policy change. If I find that I have to wait until May 1st to determine that i'll finish FXT2 and go ahead and start on my Capstone. mind == mush.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Hypntick wrote: »
    JIT2 is taking me longer than normal, i'm about halfway through my writing at this point. After speaking with the course mentor, turns out that I am more than likely going way more in depth than they are looking for on the rubric. I hope to finish up tomorrow or Wednesday night and get it submitted. I'll then move on to FXT2 over the weekend, and hope to finish and submit the first 2 tasks. After that, I guess it's an evaluation of if i'll even be able to do the FYV2 certification or not due to the policy change. If I find that I have to wait until May 1st to determine that i'll finish FXT2 and go ahead and start on my Capstone. mind == mush.

thanks for the heads up im about ready to start that same class
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if a CIW cert could be applied to multiple classes during admissions? My counselor isn't all that great for IT stuff.

1D0-541 applies to both CCV1 and CJV1 from what I've read. Would I get credit for both for the cert?
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    ImTheKing wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a CIW cert could be applied to multiple classes during admissions? My counselor isn't all that great for IT stuff.

1D0-541 applies to both CCV1 and CJV1 from what I've read. Would I get credit for both for the cert?

No, it can only be applied to one class.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    zidian wrote: »
    No, it can only be applied to one class.

I figured as much, thanks.

I'm thinking about doing some more certs before starting (Project+, maybe some of the CIW since there's so many that transfer). Any thoughts on this? I find that self-studying from a book is always better than classes for me. Money isn't a big issue.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When it comes to WGU and how classes and certs are handled, you will be self studying. There's no real "classroom" that you attend or anything like that. The closest thing is the course mentor webinars, which are mostly just Q&A periods in regards to the content of the class. So if you do better with self study, this is certainly the type of school for you.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I'm sure this question has been asked but the terms I am using is pulling up nothing so my apologies.

I understand the term layout as opposed to semesters but what I dont understand is; are you allowed to work on any of the courses enrolled in for that term as long as they are complete by terms end or do you complete one course than the next within the term?

Secondly are there several little projects within each course (e.g. weekly assignments) or is there one major project for each course?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    normally just the end work nothing to turn in weekly
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    @da_vato, each course is different. Some are just read the book and take a course exam, others writing several papers.

When you at WGU, you will likely be enrolled in around 12 or so CUs. You can work on any of these courses. If you have a course that is challenging or boring, you can take a break and work on part of another course. If you complete the assigned courses, then you are then accelerating and can add additional courses. Make sure that any added courses are ones you can complete in that term.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    WGU is on 6 month semester no?
  • Options
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you able to cancel a task you already submitted in taskstream?
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Yeah you should be able to cancel it, I've done it and resubmitted items after finding errors...
  • Options
    When would a good time be for me to start my capstone you think? I heard a lot of people doing it earlier so that when the time comes to actually submit it, it's already complete.

I have to do some research on what they want in it and what layout topics are needed. I figure I can grab resources and write them down while studying for the exams for my courses.
  • Options
    Anyone know if WGU gives credit for certificates you complete after you've started? I know you can't transfer in classes from other colleges once you start.
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    ImTheKing wrote: »
    Anyone know if WGU gives credit for certificates you complete after you've started? I know you can't transfer in classes from other colleges once you start.

I know for sure you can if it matches the exam at the end of any of the included classes on your degree plan. You just need to have your mentor add it to your current term and then turn in the score. Talk to your mentor about whatever paperwork is needed. I know a friend of mine got a cert through work that his job sent him off to that he transferred in.

If it doesn't match the final exam, I'm not sure. There are some certs that if you get them before starting you can use them as credit for a course even if WGU uses a different exam for the final. I don't know if they will take it after the fact though.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    raptorclaw69raptorclaw69 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    New to the forum; just finished up my AA in Networking Technology from UOP. I decided to take the plunge for my Bachelors degree with WGU. Not only the cost for continuing with Phoenix was astronomical, but I personally am not a fan of the team concepts. Any advice from anyone on here would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Welcome to the forum, raptor.

I'm in the process of reviewing the WGU material & so far it interests me. I will have some questions, but I'm waiting until I can complete the list in its entirety... so we will see what others have to say in terms of advice to you because obviously I have no experience (yet) to share. icon_lol.gif

Meanwhile, good luck in your WGU studies!
  • Options
    The only thing you need in WGU is MOTIVATION to do your work. Classes are very well organized, you get a weekly call from your mentor. You just need to put the time in and do your work. They suggest roughly 20 hours of work time dedication to be successful, but some people don't do that obviously because they know the stuff already and it's all review to them. My HTML course took me 10 days from day one. I scheduled the test the second day in and took it and passed. I think I looked at the material for a total of 5 hours to brush up on deprecated code.
  • Options
    raptorclaw69raptorclaw69 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    These are very insightful comments. The one thing that has irritated me in the past has been when individuals have posted negative comments about how they had a bad experience and never go to this and that school.. blah blah blah. While I will acknowledge that a student does have a bad experience at a school due to circumstances beyond their control, most of the posts I have read in the past few weeks on other websites pointed to the same symptoms: laziness. It is quite simple: due the work and you will be rewarded. If you go in thinking that online classes are a cakewalk and you will breeze through them then you are doomed to failure. I followed this pattern with Phoenix and plowed through my courses.
  • Options
    soapsoap Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the upcoming changes to the WGU programming courses. I'm wanting to enroll within a month or two but unsure if I should wait. Anyone have any opinion on this?
  • Options
    They are apparently making it more organized and instead of getting certified in it they will create their own test for it.
  • Options
    soapsoap Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just wonder which is better looking. All of those certifications or WGU's own educational program.