Simple VTP Lab question.

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Team,
I am trying to get a simple VTP lab working with two switches and I think my issue is that my packet tracer 5.3.2 is limited on the command.
Here is the output I am getting

Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree vlan 1?
WORD

Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree vlan 1 cost 18

Can anyone please confirm if my suspicion is correct about packet tracer.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep, looks to be an issue with Packet Tracer itself, not your syntax. I just tested it on PT and on a 2950 I have sitting on my desk, here was the output.

From Packet Tracer 5.3.2 on a 2960 switch
    Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree vlan 1 ?
      port-priority  Change an interface's spanning tree port priority

From a real 2950
    Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree vlan 1 ?
      cost           Change an interface's per VLAN spanning tree path cost
      port-priority  Change an interface's spanning tree port priority

Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree vlan 1 cost ?
      <1-200000000>  Change an interface's per VLAN spanning tree path cost

Looks like PT only supports changing the port priority, not the cost.
    Hope that helps!
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you yes it does. It's frustrating that packet tracker has these limitations and I worry about the test and if Packet Tracer will be enough for the test? I am having fun learning thou and that is the important thing I guess.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am using PT and GNS3 extensively, but I do have a real 2950 and 2610xm to throw commands at. When I'm using freeccnaworkbook.com sometimes I notice a command (like VTP/STP commands) that won't work properly. When I hit one of those I just throw it on the real switch to make sure I know what I'm doing and then back to the sims!

You can get a 2950 from routerswholesale.com for ~$25 for a 12-port, if you wanted one just to play with.