70-294 - Renaming Domains - Functional Levels

pjrousepjrouse Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

hope you can help?

I'm a little stuck on Forest/Domain functional levels and how they relate to the ability to rename a domain?

If you have a Forest at Windows 2000 level with a 2003 domain running at server 2003 domain functional level, can you rename that domain?

Also if you upgrade your forest to the Server 2003 functional level does that upgrade all the domains to the server 2003 level too?

Thanks for any help

Paul
VCP5-DCV
MCSE Server 2012
MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - Server 2008
Network+

Comments

• skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    pjrouse wrote:
    Hi All,

hope you can help?

I'm a little stuck on Forest/Domain functional levels and how they relate to the ability to rename a domain?

If you have a Forest at Windows 2000 level with a 2003 domain running at server 2003 domain functional level, can you rename that domain?

Also if you upgrade your forest to the Server 2003 functional level does that upgrade all the domains to the server 2003 level too?

Thanks for any help

Paul

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't have a 2003 domain within a 2000 forest.

Even IF you theoretically could have 2003 domain within a 2000 forest, the forest and domain must be at 2003 level to perform a domain rename.

Finally, no when you change the forest level to 2003, it only affects the forest level. After you do that, you would go through and change each domain's domain level to 2003.
  • jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im currently studing for the mcse..

I have done all my lessons.. just the tests to do now...

I think there is someway to have a 2003 mixed which means you can have 2000 and 2003..

there is also a 2003 native (i think its something like that) which is only 2003 servers...

ill look into it more and let you know as soon as i do.

If anyone knows i am wrong please let me know as soon im to do the tests soon...
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i don't know about renaming, but if i'm not mistaken you can have a 2003 domain in a 2000 forest.

if you want a mixed environment with both 2000 and 2003 DCs, you will need to use the 2000 forest level.
    there is also the 2003 interim and 2003, neither of which support 2000 DCs.

and again if i am not mistaken, raising a forest functional level will automatically raise the domain functional levels to match.
    witty comment