Passed CHFI

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
I passed as part of my Master's classes. I'm sure this would have been a harder exam for someone who was new to IT but I found it even easier than the CEH. There wasn't a lot of "meat" in the content of the exam and I learned about swap files, nbtstat, net use, net share, etc when I studied for my MCDST years and years ago.

I'm another step closer to my MSISA.
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Congratulations! I've never even heard of this exam before, but it looks like there is some fun stuff :)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    @Sratakhin - I thought that the EC-Council tests were going to have more substance to them to be honest but I was really disappointed. They were actually less technical and easier than CompTIA exams which is saying a LOT.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I feel the same way on both the CEH and CHFI tests. The CHFI was almost a let down really, I expected more. I get the feeling the GIAC test is going to be the killer out of the certs for this program.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    I spoke to my mentor and I have the option to "opt out" of the GIAC. They are making up their own test for the course that is more aligned with the course material that they have been using. I'm seriously thinking about opting out and going for the homegrown test. Since I'm not really interested in maintaining a GIAC exam or have a pressing need for it in my career, it's not really useful to me
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif I've been hearing this a lot Iris but it seems that companies are more thrilled with the name since it appears they don't understand what the course entails.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Since I'm not really interested in maintaining a GIAC exam or have a pressing need for it in my career, it's not really useful to me
    That's too bad. The information in the GIAC GSEC certification is really awesome for understanding and fixing system and network security issues. I assume that's the cert you'd be going for.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! How many credits do you have left?
    @JDMurray - GIAC GSEC does seem like a good one. My degree program only has GIAC G2700 which doesn't really have as much value to me. I've been studying and taking certification exams for about 5 years now. I'm starting to want to see an "end game" as far as certifications are concerned (never with learning though!). I have the next 4 years where I can pretty much study as much as I want so I'm hoping to knock out the CCIE R&S and (maybe) the CCIE Security in that time after I'm done with the NPs. After that, I'll maintain and just pursue family, career, and hopefully some fun stuff somewhere in there.

@YuckTheFankees - I have 13 credits left. I have NOT been pushing as hard for my MSISA so I've been going the regular pace for it. I'll probably finish up 3 more classes for this semester, study the CCNP hard, and then do the final at a slow pace.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I may have to take this exam next if its easier than the CEH. Hoping to report a pass on the CEH this Wednesday.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I spoke to my mentor and I have the option to "opt out" of the GIAC. They are making up their own test for the course that is more aligned with the course material that they have been using. I'm seriously thinking about opting out and going for the homegrown test. Since I'm not really interested in maintaining a GIAC exam or have a pressing need for it in my career, it's not really useful to me

Yeah my mentor was pushing me in that direction too. However at the pace i'm going, i'll have everything aside from the GIAC wrapped up in another 1.5 - 2 months. Which would leave me 3 months of nothing to do until the next term so they could switch me into the new program. While I could use that time to go after the ecppt or something, I don't think that would be the most effective use of my time, but I guess i'll burn that bridge when I come to it. :D
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    @MrAgent, Good luck. Based on your other certifications, I think you have a very high chance of passing. It's just a lot of memorizing programs and syntax.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • w77mw77m Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is the MSISA? Is this the degree from WGU.edu? I was just reading a thread about that earlier. TIA
  • CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    w77m wrote: »
    What is the MSISA? Is this the degree from WGU.edu? I was just reading a thread about that earlier. TIA

It's Masters of Science: Information Security and Assurance. It is a degree from WGU but many other institutions have this kind of degree
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    First time I've notice MSISA. I have seen MSIA, MSIAS, and MSIT-IS (what my degree is called).

I wonder how many of these acronyms aren't in a typical recruiter's keyword search engine.
    For me, it's more of having a "Master's Degree" in something IT related. I wish I had gone the network-related MS route but I'm already halfway through at this point
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Ugh. That's depressing. I plan on grabbing my CEH and CHFI, but I want a *little* challenge. I also don't want something else to come along that gets more industry recognition, and I've spent ~$1000 on a couple meaningless certs.

At the same time it's totally hard to trust you after seeing your laundry list of certs. It's like my friend who said "The CISSP was a breeze." Yeah... he reads tech manuals for fun.
    @bobloblaw - The CISSP was tough. There's an entire thread by me in the CISSP forums where I sweated for 6 weeks on whether I passed or not waiting for a response. The CCNA and CCNP exams (that I've taken so far) were fun but difficult. The MCSE was boring and that made it harder but technical level-wise, it was slightly easier than the CCNA. The CompTIAs were the easiest exams I took to date... before I took the EC-Council exams.... Hopefully that gives you a little more perspective on what I find easy or fun.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Well that makes me feel better. Still disappointing they're so easy. They still pop on indeed/dice, so I guess I'll still get them.

Are there any other major forensics certs? Those GIAC certs costs so (expletive deleted) much. It's like you need to take out a personal loan to get a few.
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Congratulations on passing the CHFI. Sorry to hear that it wasn't much a challenge. CEH and CHFI were on my radar, but now I'm not sure. I plan on working on some security related certifications and I hope that doesn't devalue them. It would probably still be worth getting them. What do you think?
    Knowledge is Power.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!

No big surprise on the exam content. Everything I've read about EC-Council boils down to that the certs and company are trash.

Personally, I would definitely go with G2700. Even if it isn't in line with your career goals, I think it would be a nice addition to any security professional's resume.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had no idea WGU had GIAC certs in their programs. I'll have to look at the BS program again, see what it has.