Network Monitoring Software

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Can anyone share their experiences with any Network Monitoring software they have used in the real world. I'm interested in looking at Interface Utilization to see if the current links are being stretched Bandwidth wise.

Ideally free for commercial use - I've been looking at MRTG. Anyone used this? If I was using it to monitor core router interfaces, does it have any impact on router performance at all?

Comments

• BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cacti is probably your best bet - free, unlimited devices and easy to set up even for a Linuxphobe like myself

PRTG is also very good but only the first 10 devices are free
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MUTINY is another one,

mutiny.com

again only first 10 devices are free. but it has a very easy web based interface and even the paid version is not to bad.

it uses SNMP (as most monitoring does) and this has minimal impact on performance. SNMP by its very nature is designed to have minim impact on performance, and in the real world even very heavy usage of it will not have any effect.

Mutiny can provide at a glance usage, predefined usage alerts, and at a click hestorical data/trends.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you get good at it OpenNMS is a winner. Before Open, I used Nagios and Cacti.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a small network you can download a groundworks virtual appliance and just add devices it supports 50 for free with a bunch of options and a nice gui.
    Spiceworks is very complete for a small network, the most complete tool for asset tracking, SNMP monitoring, Bandwidth monitoring and ticketing.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Zabbix. Best free nms I've ever used.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Cacti + Weathermap FTW
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Icinga and Cacti are what we use here at our shop.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    What i love about spiceworks is that i can backup config of al my network devices.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nagios and Cacti are what I've used in the past and they both work very well
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    SolarWinds Orion is my favorite one. The amount of features and information you can monitor with it is crazy.
    Is great but so expensive, just a few companies can afford their licensing to get all the features.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Zenoss for the win!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Cacti for free but once you use PRTG you'll see its worth the $$
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PRTG is awesome and so is SolarWinds.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I was wondering if anyone was going to mention PRTG; I've been a fan if it for several years. It certainly doesn't try to do everything that that big programs do, but it is at a very good price point and has great functionality.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...